Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

Howdy! Link up below.

1. I arrive at the babysitter's house at least five minutes early every day,  no matter how hard I try to leave early. Given the fact that it's her home, and her and her family are getting ready to start the day, I feel bad, so I either wait out front or circle the block once or twice. 

2. Lena's dress at the Emmy's was... something. She said it "looks like cake and feels like sweatpants." 

[source]


3. Love these composition totes from Out of Print:

[source]


4. I found this lemon poppy-seed recipe last weekend and was pretty jazzed that I actually had all the ingredients, including the ripe lemons my husband assured me had on the tree. Fast-forward a few hours later- he's out with a friend, Sawyer's fast asleep and I'm in the baking mood. I go out to pick a few lemons and THEY'RE GONE! Who steals lemons? My theory: the guy who does the lawns. He sees month after month of our lemons staying on the tree and he figures we won't miss them. Any other time he'd be completely right. Sadly, there has yet to be any lemon poppyseed bread.

5. Having to decide on a little boy hair cut in the future scares me. Albeit, we are putting the cart before the horse, since my baby is basically bald.

6. We were watching Parenthood (so good, so depressing) the other night on Netflix and the song Transatlanticism by Death Cab came on, and I instantly fell in love. And then Julie realized that she wasn't getting the baby she wanted to adopt and, if it weren't for my husband being in the room, I would have lost my shit. So now I'm facing a serious conundrum: download the song and bawl my eyes out every time I hear it, since I now associate it with all things sad, or go without.

7. I haven't been able to exercise as regularly as I am used to and feel like I am on the cusp of losing my shit. No joke. If anything, I am downplaying the severity of the situation. 



8. I added a "currently reading" line to my email signature at work last week. Number of people that have noticed: 0. Fucks I give: 0.

9. I've been doing my best to influence my students' reading habits, and I'm feeling relatively successful so far. I have two tackling The Goldfinch, two reading Five Days at Memorial, and two starting Let the Great World Spin (so many pairs... it's like the literary Noah's Ark).

10. My mom and other sister are coming into town this weekend! This sister hasn't met the baby, so I'm excited. She likes dogs more than people, so she'll probably play with him for five seconds before lavishing the dogs with attention.

8 comments:

  1. That is a great tote bag...I do love that kind of thing.

    I can't wait for the new fall season of Parenthood....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must teach high school. I thought you were an Elementary teacher for some reason.
    I hate it when I do something I think is so clever, like adding "currently reading" and no one notices, or seems to. You wait. In four months, maybe five, someone will mention how much they appreciate reading that part of your emails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want one of those tote bags! Also, if I were to have received an email from you, I would totally have noticed the currently reading line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you added that to your email signature...nobody at my work would do something so cool!! I would TOTALLY notice!! Also, I may have to use that awesome Cinderella pic...feeling the SAME way though not due to lack of exercise, more like due to tolerating crappy people!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you have added a "currently reading" to the bottom of your email signature. This is something that I would probably notice and comment on! Boy haircuts and styles is something I can relate too, my son's hair grew all of a sudden and we had to do something about it when he was about 10 months old. We just did it ourselves with hair clippers. Totally buzzed him to a #2. He looked cute. Now he's almost 6, and we still do it ourselves but keep it longer on the top and shorter around the sides. He has a double crown which creates a bit of a problem so buzzing is what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 5. I was a bit weird about first haircuts as well...

    8. That is the BEST idea. *might copy you*

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first thing that came out of my mouth when I saw Lena's dress was "Why?!" I guess it gives us something to talk about day after the Emmys, lol...

    Transatlanticism by Death Cab is a good song...which now reminds me that it's been a long while since I've listened to any of their stuff *goes off to listen to some of their songs*

    That's cool that you added that to your email signature, adds a bit of fun to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am having the same problem with #7. I just can't stand it. Honestly. It actually feels like I might lose my mind.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS