February Reviews- I Read Some Stuff

February was a short month- allegedly. I did, however, get some reading done.

The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth by Alexandria Robbins
448 Pages
I already wrote about this before, in Non-Fiction Nagging, but basically I thought the message was a lot better than the book itself. Stereotyping and clique forming run rampant in our society and as humans we need to help ourselves and help others. Yes, teachers and parents need to help kids fit in and prevent bullying, but part of this is by giving kids the tools they need to value themselves.
The text is a bit unnatural and a tad contrived, in my opinion (which differs from most people, it seems).

Verdict- Read if your an educator, parent, or interested in sociology.

The Thieves of Manhattan by Adam Langer
272 pages
I absolutely enjoyed this book- maybe it's because I'd love to write a book someday and be included into the crazy publishin
g world. Even if I didn't have those aspirations I'm sure I'd still like it, though. The main character, Ian, is basically commissioned to revise another man's manuscript and pass it off on his own. It turns into a mystery novel that is entertaining and well-written up until the last page.

Verdict- Quick read, interesting, and fun (you know, in a literary way).

The Call by Yannick Murphy
240 pages
This was a book club selection made by someone else- I'm so glad it was chosen, though, because I probably would
have never noticed it otherwise. The plot is fairly simple- a veterinarian's young son is shot while hunting and ends up in a coma- the father must then come to terms with the crime while still running a family and business. The format is quite unique- at first glance it looks like a play, but it's not. Instead it will read something like "What I Said: blablalbla What the Wife Said: blablabla What the children did: blablabla." At first I was really opposed, but as Murphy developed the plot and infused her subtle humor it really grew on me. I have to giver her credit for trying something new.

Verdict- I'd give it a try- it's a quick read but a touching book.

When the Killing's Done by TC Boyle
384 pages
I already wrote a post on this as well, but bottom line is that I loved it. Set loosely on a true premise, Boyle writes about what happens when the National Park Service tries to exterminate wild animals (that were introduced by humans) to the Channel Islands. He poses the question of how far humans should go to intervene by portraying characters from each side, intertwining them together. He also explores the human side, making it so much more than an environmental text.

Verdict- It's not necessarily and "easy" read, but for those that want to be forced to think and enjoy well-written novels, I'd definitely go for it. It was my favorite this month, for sure.

2 comments:

  1. I know you write a book blog, but I gotta say, you read a lot!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. So. I didn't know about your blog before today because I'd never clicked over from your comments. (SORRY!) : ) I just wanted to say, "THANK YOU" for your comment today. That's exactly how I feel! I need a kick to get me moving more, I guess!

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS