Top Ten Tuesday- The Collecting Dust Club

[crappy cropping job brought to you by.... me]


This week The Broke and the Bookish ask us what books we bought but then neglected to read. I have over 60 books in my TBR "pile," so obviously there are quite a few that I "had" to have and then proceeded to ignore. I think we've established the fact, on multiple occasions, that I have some issues. 

By the way, I sometimes do this with food, although all that remains on the shelf is usually the last quarter cup of cereal, spoonful of ice cream, or swallow of wine. 
 
1. Pride and Prejudice Zombies- I bought this, I'm guessing, about three years ago, before the world had given itself over to the walking dead (no, I'm not referring to the show I don't watch, just the dead people that walk). At the time it was actually a slightly innovative genre, but now it's overdone and cliche, hence the reason I haven't gotten off my high horse to give it a go.

2. Tree of Codes- I was over-the-moon excited when my husband and I found this first edition book by Jonathan Safran Foer at the LA Times Festival of Books almost two years ago. I blogged about it, admired it lovingly in my living room, and carefully packed it when we moved. 

3. The Problem of Pain- I bought this CS Lewis book just over a year ago when I was having a slightly hard time coming to terms with some now trivial things (ain't that always the way?). I just didn't understand why God, if there is one, can be so difficult sometimes (I actually typed "such an asshole" and then realized that if I want the dude to throw me a bone once in awhile I should probably stay away from the blasphemy). Anyway, the problem resolved itself, my questions temporarily subsided, and the book has stayed shut.

4. Heyday- I believe I received this book for Christmas about three years ago. When I asked for it I had no idea that it was well over 600 pages, probably the only reason why I haven't read it already.

5. Running with Scissors- This may sound ridiculous, but the only reason why I haven't read this crazy memoir is because I don't want it to influence my own writing. There's a tiny area of overlap, from what I've heard, and I don't want Burroughs' style or content to take up residence in my own brain. 

6. The Crimson Petal and the White- Here comes a fun confession: I think I've owned this book for about five years. The second fun confession: I bought it because they mentioned it on Gilmore Girls and when I looked it up it sounded interesting, so I bought it. I'm such a sucker for prostitutes. 

7. Nocturnes- I think I've only had this Ishiguro book for maybe a year or two, but my rationale was that I was buying it for a trip (maybe Chicago?) to read during the flight... and never did.

8. The Girl Who...- I have only read the first book of The Millennium Trilogy, despite having owned all three for a few years now. I just wasn't all that impressed with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Parts of the story were good, and the writing was okay, there just wasn't anything convincing enough to pull me back in. It'll happen.
 
9.  Light Boxes- I ordered this short little piece of semi-experimental fiction a month after it came out... in June 2010. And it's only 150 pages! Ridiculous! I feel so guilty I almost feel compelled to read it tonight. 

10. The Mercury Vision of Louis Daguerre- This one is at least a couple of years old too. I bought it not long after reading the The Beautiful Miscellaneous by Dominic Smith, since that novel was so good.  

If I was a good kid this list would also be my spring TBR list. But it's not, because I'm not. 

Any books collecting dust or food acquiring mold on your shelves? Do share.

10 comments:

  1. Argh! I totally forgot about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies when making my list. I haven't read it yet for probably the same reasons. I remember buying it thinking, "Oh! Zombies are showing up everywhere!" And now I mostly think, "Ehhhh, zombies keep showing up everywhere."

    My List

    ReplyDelete
  2. Light Boxes! I have it on my want-to-read list but I haven't gone out and grabbed a copy yet. Looks intriguing though!

    I'm glad that I read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies before it became a whole fad otherwise yeah, I'd also be holding it off on my pile.

    Nocturnes was interesting enough if I remember correctly...

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh I have a JSF book on my list too! I remember reading about Tree of Codes, it looked so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to Pride & Prejudice and Zombies too LOL

    My Top Ten

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I love that you bought the Faber because of Gilmore Girls. Look at awesome things colliding ^_^ Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you were able to stop reading the Girl Who series! I couldn't stop reading it! Here is my Angela's Anxious Life!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard that the writing for the Girl who series isn't that great and it's overhyped. I hope you enjoy it when you eventually get back to it! Pride and Prejudice for Zombies does sound awesome!

    Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, I hated Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It was so freaking lazy. For the most part, the 'adapter' just did a ctrl-find/replace and changed out piano forte for deadly arts, and added a couple of zombie scenes. I was really excited, but I expected more work on the author's part.

    Oh, The Crimson Petal and the White. I started reading that one and was loving it, but the got busy with school and never finished.

    I read the first book in the Millenium Trilogy, but I don't know if I'll ever be motivated to finish. It wasn't bad, but meh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "The Collecting Dust Club"... I love it! I really want to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies but after I reread Pride and Prejudice I got sidetracked.... I've never read Running With Scissors either, I can't even make myself buy it even though I've picked it up in the store a few times only to put it down for something else.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still need to read P&P and Zombies. Of course, you're absolutely correct that the genre is very saturated, but I can never get my fill of zombies! This is a "one of these days" picks for me.

    Stephanie (Go Flash Go) @ Read, Rinse, Repeat

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS