Top Ten Tuesday- Ten Books in My Basket



This week The Broke and the Bookish are allowing us to choose whatever topic we'd like, so I'm going to go with the next ten books that are currently in my basket waiting for the infamous book buying embargo to be finished. Many of these are meant to be read on the plane and cruise I plan on taking in a month, so the selections are a little more relaxed than they may ordinarily be:

1. The 100 Year-Old-Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
A man escapes from his nursing home on his 100th birthday and ends up going on an adventure.

2. A Map of Tulsa by Benjamin Lytal
A man returns home to Tulsa and meets a high-school dropout who helps him rediscover his hometown.

3. The Love Song of Jonny Valentine by Teddy Wayne
A witty, ironic story of a young pop star.

4. The World's Strongest Librarian by Josh Hanagarne
A Mormon with Tourette's. Need I say more?

5. Italian Ways: On and Off the Rails from Milan to Palermo by Tim Parks
A travelogue  of a man's journey by train through Italy. 

6. The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
I am most definitely on the fence about this one; I adore the movie and have heard it's good, but am still nervous.

7. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
I'm also a little afraid about this one- there's just so much hype...

8. The Immortal Life of Henrieta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
I have heard nothing but rave reviews about this science nonfiction that supposedly reads more like a novel.

9. Suttree by Cormac McCarthy
I've read only two of McCarthy's books (The Road and All the Pretty Horses) and have head that this one is nothing short of fantastic.

10. How to Get Filthy Rich in Asia by Mohsin Hamid
A new format (self help) combined with an interesting story. 

What's in your basket (as opposed to wallet... this is not Capital One...)?

16 comments:

  1. LOL the Italian Ways book immediately caught my attention before I could even read what your list was about ;)

    The World's Strongest Librarian also caught my attention, will need to check that one out =D

    Hope you enjoy those titles! =D

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, fun idea! I'm quite intrigued by The Night Circus, but I'm also scared of it. Hope you can buy these ones soon!

    - Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl (And The Broke and the Bookish). Visit my Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have the Jonasson sitting on my shelf to be read. Silver Lining's Playbook is a very good book, I liked it more than the movie (but of course I read the book first so I am probably biased). The Immortal Life is interesting, we just disscused the repercussions of issues like that book in my science book club.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about silver linings. I adored the book and they changed so much of what was essential to the characters that I was super disappointed in the movie. I had to watch it again later thinking of it as a completely different story I order to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a bunch of great books ahead of you! 100 Year Old Man is so much fun, loved that book :) World's Strongest Librarian might be my favorite in your list (of the ones I've read anyway) Oh gosh, Jonny Valentine was great too. I don't know how you'll ever pick which to read first ;) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Night Circus for me too...heard so much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm about to begin a book-buying ban in June so my next freebie will probably be the same as yours. I have Jonny Valentine and Silver Linings Playbook both in my TBR stack (with so much to look forward to a book buying ban won't be so bad, will it?!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good topic choice! And a nice mix of books -- you have eclectic tastes. (That's a compliment.) My daughter loved The Night Circus; it's on my to-read list.

    What's in my basket/cart? Actually, most of what's in my Amazon cart right now is either for other people or needs to be deleted. I've got a lot of stuff on my wish list, though. Currently topping the list are several books on writing, William Shakespeare's Star Wars, a few not-yet-published romances and romantic suspense novels, and two books I've read but don't yet own: Tuesdays at the Castle and Seraphina.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought Night Circus was pretty good, but just PRETTY GOOD--not out-of-this-world. Too much hype, maybe?

    I don't keep too many books in my book-buying basket because I only like buying after I've read them and want to add them to my library (the shelves in my house are overflowing as it is--it's got to be good for me to clear some room) but the books I've got on my library reserve queue are Appointment in Samarra by John O'Hara and It's Not the End of the Earth but You Can See it from Here by Roger Welsch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized you're currently reading Appointment in Samarra--which is CRAZY because I didn't even know about it until reading that ANOTHER book blogger had currently read it. Interconnectedness!

      Delete
  10. World's Strongest Librarian? Count me in! On al fmy to-buy list is American Story: a Lifetime Serach for Ordinary People Doing Extraordinary Things. (I saw an interview with the writer on tv and it sold me.) Also Assassination Vacation. I must get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good topic! I liked The Love Song of Johnny Valentine, but it's pretty sad if you think about it too much. And definitely read Silver Linings Playbook, it's one of my all-time favorite books. So different (and better, IMO) than the movie.

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adding Italian Ways to my basket. I did the same thing a couple of years ago so I'd love to see if someone else found it as crazy as I did! I've heard really good things about The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks too. So. Many. Books. To. Buy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great list! I've been hearing great things about Silver Linings Playbook!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hear that SLP the book is even better than the movie. Filthy Rich also looks intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just got the Hamid book from the library, and I'm hoping for a fun read. Love Song of Johnny Valentine is perfect for a trip. I liked it a lot. I'm also not sure about Silver Linings Playbook. I loved the movie, but I kind of hate reading books after seeing the movie, especially when they are really similar.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS