Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

Hey there! It's time for the weekly BS (but in a good way, yes?)- link up below so everyone can read yours too! 

1. What the eff is this nonsense? This is completely unacceptable and opens the door (much like the Hobby Lobby fiasco) for additional discrimination.

2. I put my big-girl panties on a updated my phone to the newest IOS. This is dramatic stuff for me- first I had to back it up on my computer, which I then had to backup on my external hard drive, and then I had to delete a shit-ton of stuff to make room. Once everything finished my first order of business was taking off the ridiculous emoji function of my keyboard. When do I need a little image of a man wearing a turban? A VHS player? A mailbox? Unless I lose the ability to use speech (Broca's Area? Or something like that?) and desperately need to convey to someone that a turbaned man put a VHS in my mailbox we will all be fine.

3. Don't tell Sawyer, but I bought him these for Christmas:



4. Any good recommendations for boardgames for two? Other than Yahtzee and Scrabble.

5. The hours from 6-9 am are some of the most happiest for me. Why? Because that is when I am mostly heavily caffeinated. 6-9 pm doesn't suck either, since I'm home in my yoga pants with my little guy.

6. I'm working on helping to develop a Dystopian Unit of study for the Common Core committee and it's a little fun (despite the fact that I won't be teaching it in the foreseeable future because of the courses I teach). We're focusing on Animal Farm, Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, and 1984. I have my Master's in Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment, so I feel like maybe a tiny bit of that is being utilized. I think working for a -gasp- textbook company would someday maybe be kind of... neat (and dirty, at the same time).



7. My child woke up every hour or two allllll night long last night. He doesn't need to eat, so I stand by him, pop his pacifier in and pat his belly. He goes back to sleep withing a few minutes, while I'm up for at least fifteen more. He was sleeping through the night up until a week or two ago, so I suppose we're going through one of those little sleep regressions everyone warns about. Or, MY BABY IS THE DEVIL AND HATES ME. There's that.

[for the record, this is not my child. And I will sleep... just not after 7 am]

 8. I got my hands on a some of the PiYo videos, to try them out to see if they'd ever be something I'd want. I did the introductory video last night and was pleased to see that a lot of the moves, while renamed, are just yoga moves I've done a million times. I was less than pleased to feel sore today. Actually, I lie, I was a little pleased- that means it works!

9. One of my old students, who just happens to be my favorite kid ever taught, surprised me the other night (with her friend, who is also very high up my list) at my house (yes... she know where I live- she should probably be a PI or something) with the sweetest gift EVER. Her and her friend took all these crazy inside jokes we have and spelled them out with Scrabble letters that they displayed in a frame. It was so, so sweet. 

10. The only show that I'm up-to-date on is Parenthood and I'm so pissed that they left the Joel/Julia drama on a cliffhanger last week. In fact, I think I may have blurted out "those fucking bastards!" as soon as it left with the two of them facing each other at the door. This is why you just wait and binge watch things.

7 comments:

  1. #1 makes my blood boil! I absolutely hate the use of religion as a justification of discrimination and am fairly certain it goes against what most religions are really about in the first place. Whatever happened to love thy neighbor and do unto others? I'm pretty sure those principles are supposed be more important than than being the sin police for other people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Target has buy two get one free on all board games this week. Such a great deal! I don't know if there are any games for two people, but this would be a great time to browse the game section.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sawyer's gifts...I want them too...for my school counseling office. I have some of the Toy Story guys right now.

    I'm with you on binge watching TV - it's much better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer watching the whole show on Netflix these days, although it will be a while before this season is up...I think.

    But yes, cliffhangers suck! Love Parenthood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ticket to Ride is one of our favorite games, it can be played with 2-5 players and there are other versions and expansion packs for it. I highly recommend it!
    Good luck with the sleep regression, I have no words of wisdom just that my two did the same thing. Jerks. I mean I love them and all but that time in our lives sucked. It gets better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! Those little Wild Things toys are soooo cute!! I really like that story (and the movie) and I read it to my 4yrs nephew a lot. Mostly for me. I don't think he cares about it. hehe.
    OH. Have you ever tried Sequence? It's a board game for 2-3 people, and it's got cards and stuff. But it's super simple. I hate learning new boardgames, but my parents pinned me down to try it and it's all about strategy and I picked up all the rules in like 2 goes. Super easy and fun. x)
    Thanks for stopping by @ Notebook Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're in the middle of what I can only assume is also a sleep regression and it f'ing sucks. We went from sleeping through the night to waking up multiple times. So tough.

    You NEED to get the game Kings Cribbage. It's like crib and scrabble combined and it's the best board game ever. It's the only board game really that my husband will play with me. You will not be disappointed. Unless you hate crib, then I wouldn't get it. Haha!

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS