Document This- Ballerinas, Juicing and Videogames Dorks

I've been slowing down on the documentary front lately, due to the fact that I've been running more, which generally requires music if I'm going for an extended period of time. Here are a few I've managed to finish:

Ballerina
2009
76 minutes
This was actually a really interesting film that followed a few ballerinas of various ages in Russia. These girls are extremely hardcore and it was at times difficult to the pressure that was put on them by themselves and others. Ballet is such a big deal in Russia and it's all the girls eat, sleep and breathe if they end up winning coveted spots at the advanced schools. I must confess I've never been to a real ballet before, but I've always admired their style, elegance and costumes. 

Verdict: It's a little anticlimactic, but still interesting. 

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead
2010 
97 minutes
This documentary followed a man who was very overweight and unhealthy as he launched a two month juice fast with amazing results. He lost a ton of weight and resolved his health issues while traveling across the United States inspiring others. He actually motivated a trucker he found on the road to embark on the same quest, the man finding similar results. I think my main problem with this film is that juicing is not practical for everyone and can actually be more expensive than a normal, healthy diet. Juicing also doesn't teach people how to make good nutritional decisions when they decide to start eating solids again.

Verdict: While I didn't agree completely with their method, I do of course believe that you have to take charge of your own health.

Indie Game: The Movie
2012
94 minutes
I actually watched this one with my husband, since he's a huge indie video game fan. This documentary followed a few groups of developers who were working on highly-anticipated games, showing the trials and tribulations that come with not having a huge studio behind you. I do have to say, though, I was legitimately concerned with some of these creators- they were very hairy, didn't leave their houses frequently, and wept often. They talked about games like Braid, Super Meat Boy and Fez- the only reason why I know some of these is because I've seen my husband playing them. 

Verdict: This was definitely the best of the three- I truly rooted for the men and wanted their games to launch successfully.

1 comment:

  1. I've started watching a TV show on the CW about ballerinas, Breaking Pointe. It's pretty interesting. I so admire ballerinas because they put in such intense work, and what do they get out of it? Not the money or fame that other athletes get. They have to really love it.*

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS