On Deck (and Why)



The other day I had to explain to a student what "on deck" means. Unfortunately, I don't know my students yet to make fun of them (good-naturedly, of course) so I had to bite my tongue, swallow my snark, and actually explain the sporting reference (and no, it wasn't a English-learner idiom nuance). By the time we sorted it all out I just really missed playing softball. 

Anyway, I digress. I'm here to tell you what I plan on reading in the very near future, and why, since there are some books I have to get through super soon. Here's the game plan:

Batting Lead: (okay, I'll stop)

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston- This is what I'm teaching next, so rereading it for the fourth time is necessary. Luckily it's one of my favorite novels I teach, so I don't mind one darn bit.

Educated by Tara Westover- We're reading this for our English department book club and our meeting is in less than two weeks. 

Can We All Be Feminists? Edited by June Eric-Udorie- I accepted this ARC and know they were hoping it was going to be reviewed by publication later this week. I usually sort of "accidentally" ignore those requests (this is why I've been sticking to my own books the last few years), but HELLO! Feminism! I feel obligated to speed things up. 

Overstory by Richard Powers OR The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben- I'm getting my tree tattoo in two weeks and I feel like I need to read one of these, just to really go all out (because permanently inking my body isn't enough).

Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan- I just finished the second book in the trilogy, so I probably should get on the final installment before I forget.

Dear America: Notes of an Undocumented Citizen by Jose Antonio Vargas- This will be perfect timing with the upcoming election. 

I'm notorious for straying from reading plans. Once things become an obligation I naturally become rebellious and want to deviate from what is expected, but some of these texts I really have no choice on. I wholeheartedly believe that most will be excellent, although I am a bit skeptical about Kwan's, since the second book treaded on thin ice for me, as is. Now I just need to quickly finish up with Fear and move on with my life (man, we could really get metaphorical there, couldn't we?)

Have a great week, friends!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS