I Love Cereal

I don't usually write much about the books I'm currently reading on this blog, since I do actual reviews on Amazon. Nonetheless, I'm been feeling the urge to subject the blog world to my thoughts on what I've just read, but in a hopefully non-boring not too "reviewy" way.

Enter January. Enter breakfast cereals. This month I will compare the three books I read to members of my favorite food group in 100ish words or less. If you want an actual synopsis or review check out Amazon.


Book 1: Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
Pages: 533 (this took me forever, since I tackled it during the holidays)
Cereal: Lucky Charms
Why: The cereal's catch phrase "magically delicious" and marshmallow/brown crunchy bits hy
brid make it a perfect match for Midnight's Children. Rushdie's political and social commentary on India's process of independence is intermixed with a healthy serving of magical realism, which focuses on the narrator's ability to telepathically communicate with others born within the same hour of India's rebirth. The marshmallows represent the first two parts of the very long novel, while the crunchy bits are the last one-hundred pages, which while I still liked, I didn't love as much as the beginning which chronicles Saleem Sinai's youth.

This is not a quick read, and it's very dense on many levels. I'm a sucker for magical realism, though, and I welcome a novel that incorporates some history and politics. I enjoyed it, but it is not for everyone.

Book 2: On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan
Pages: 203
Cereal: Honey Nut Cheerios (with an unexpected, random toy)

Why: It's really hard to describe this book adequately without giving too much away. McEwan's prose is reminiscent of Honey Nut Cheerios (HNC) in the sense that both are simple, packed with nutrients, and always hit the spot. McEwan and HNC leave you satisfied, but never bored (as opposed to the regular Cheerios). This text describes two young, virginal, British newlyweds who are about to consummate their marriage , yet unfortunately each have some serious sexual issues to contend to (hence the "random toy"). Graphic without being vulgar, just as HNC is sweet without being cavity-inducing.

Book 3: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Pages: 870
Cereal: Cocoa Puffs
Why: God, this one just seems to self-explanatory. First of all, I adore Cocoa Puffs, so it's definitely not an insult. Yes, Cocoa Puffs are sugary, chocolaty, and are represented by a bird- very hard to tak
e the seriously, just like the wizards and spells of the Harry Potter books. Yet underneath it all, there's some substance. Cocoa Puffs have over 20% of your daily values in zinc, iron, vitamins B6 and B12, folate, niacin, riboflavin, and thiamin- basically, they're one big multi-vitamin. This Potter book, just like the others, are well-written young adult novels, have good messages, and are good clean fun.

Consumption rates are also quite similar. I can eat a box of Cocoa Puffs in 3 days, just like I can read
a Potter book in three days. And, as much as I love both, they're only used a occasional treats.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Christine! I love your blog!!! Comparing books to foods--it's so true! A good book leaves you feeling satisfied. Plus, I can't seem to get enough of either! I would love some recommendations on your personal favorites (books and foods!) Haha! Have a great day with your students :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I like this comparison! HNC and On Chesil Beach sounds muy interesante. I like books that are simple yet satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you crack me up. honestly i dont know how you come up with this stuff. creative writting was definitly a gene that passed me up

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS