Top Ten Tuesday-This Summer


The Broke and the Bookish ask us to list our top ten reads for this summer (yes I went over ten- there is much reading to be had this summer!):

For Work
Othello, King Lear, Macbeth, and Hamlet by William Shakespeare- I know this counts as a few, but in order to prep to test my students on their summer work and to prepare for what we'll be reading in the fall, I'll be spending some time with The Bard. These will all be very necessary rereads.

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath- I also have to teach Plath's poetry this fall and want to get some better insight (shockingly I haven't read it before).

Running in the Family by Michael Ondaatje- A memoir that I'll be reading with the students by the author of the English Patient and Divisadero.

For Fun
This Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick: I've heard good things and it seems like a great read by the pool, in a plane, or on a boat.

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein: This too is one that I think may be a little less challenging and perfect for vacation.
 
For the Brain
American Pastoral by Phillip Roth: I've had this one on my need-to-read list for awhile. I've read only one other Roth book, but I feel like this is one of the "should have" reads that I've neglected.

Joseph Anton by Salman Rushdie: I saw Rushdie discuss this memoir several months ago and have been looking forward to reading it over break when I have the mental capacity to handle the heft and subject matter. 

For Review
My Education by Susan Choi

What Maisie Knew by Henry James

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

For Creativity
Kapow by Adam Thirlwell- I ordered this from Visual Editions months (or more) ago and have yet to devote any time to it. I'm excited to stretch myself through the nontraditional format.

Building Stories by Chris Ware- I was so in love with this box of visuals when it came out but haven't had the time to truly explore it. In fact, it still lives in our coffee table because of the size.

The Underwater Welder by Jeff Lemire- The only unread graphic novel I currently have. It just looks cool. 

What are you reading this summer? Anything good? 
 

15 comments:

  1. The Bell Jar makes my 'ideal bookshelf' (maybe top 20 or books of all time) more for the effect it had on me when I read it than the effect it would have on me now. I am not a huge fan of poetry, but I do enjoy quite a bit of Plath's. Silver Lining's Playbook is an excellent poolside read - a heavy subject lightly written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And this is where I ask myself why on earth there is an apostrophe in Lining's. Let's just pretend that's not there. And change "top 20 or books" to top 20 or so. Bad, bad typo night...

      Delete
  2. I've been meaning to start going through Shakespeare's plays, I haven't read one since my final year in high school. Good fun!

    Hope you enjoy What Maisie Knew! I read it some time ago, it was very interesting.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the Art of Racing in the Rain. That cover keeps staring at me. Maybe this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Silver Linings Playbook in my TBR stack as well - one of the few examples of seeing the movie before reading the book but... Bradley Cooper... I simply couldn't wait...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have quite the diverse list! I read The Bell Jar aaages ago but don't really remember too much. One day I will re-read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to the library later today, and I might just have to search for a few of these books while I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Othello in high school, and have never read Sylvia Plath before (so don't feel bad). But I also want to read Silver Linings Playlist and What Maisie Knew. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to read some plays this summer as well for university - sadly no Shakespeare this time.
    I read Matthew Quick's YA novel 'Sorta Like a Rock Star' and I really want to pick up The Silver Linings Playbook now - loved the film, so my expectations for the book are pretty high.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of your books look great! I loved Silver Linings Playbook-just gave a copy to my sister in law.
    Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE how balanced your list is! I am in-between 20th Century Lit and World Lit, so I'm taking a brain-book break this summer.

    Here's my list: http://suchanovelidea.wordpress.com/2013/06/18/top-ten-tuesday-3/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your list! Boo for work reading, but I totally understand. I remember reading The Bell Jar ages ago and liked it. A friend of mine loved Silver Linings and she said she was going to lend it to me.

    Thanks for stopping by Literary, etc! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic assortment of books! Quite a few I've never heard of, will definitely have to check those out now. :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This Silver Linings Playbook does look good. Have a great Summer of reading!
    Here is my Tuesday Post.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS