5 Reasons Why You Should Watch

As a general rule of thumb, I don't love movies. They're long, I need to pee often, and I feel like I should be doing something rather than just sitting. I've asked my husband, a huge film buff, if we could maybe watch them in segments- a half an hour a night would equal a movie a week! Unfortunately he's not really a fan of that brilliant plan, so occasionally I suck it up and watch one with him- sometimes I'm happy I did, sometimes not so much.

Last night was a movie I actually wanted to see- Midnight in Paris, a Woody Allen film. Bonus points- only 96 minutes long.

Five Reasons to Watch:

1. It's a literary movie- Owen Wilson's character, Gil, find some sort of crazy time warping black hole different dimension sort of thing (they never explain this) and is able to go back to the twenties to visit such writers as Hemingway, Stein, and Fitzgerald.

2. He is also a struggling writer that sells out during the day- something those of us who would like to write understand. I loved how he didn't want to let anyone see his manuscript or talk about what he was working on, since I can totally relate to that.

3. Inside jokes and references for readers- Hemingway is an egomaniac and sometimes talks how he writes (and is obsessed with war). Zelda Fitzgerald is constantly drinking and dabbling in different hobbies. Gertrude Stein schmoozes it up with Picasso.

4. It will make you want to go to Paris. I don't care if they hate Americans or whatever the common complain is, I want to go.

5. It pokes fun at screenwriting and how so many Hollywood writers are in it purely for the money.

My only issues are nit-picky: I don't really care for Own Wilson (he always plays such a dumbass) and I hate Rachel McAdams with blond hair. Other than that, really great, fun, smart movie.

I can't believe I just blogged about a movie. The world is ending.

1 comment:

  1. Just watched this last might. Thought it was meh, as my sons girlfriend says. I did love the setting. Having been to Paris it was great to see the city again, especially at night.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS