I firmly believe that you have to have things to look forward to, so that if things are crappy in the present (which they're not, exactly, but still) you have something to get you through the day. I relayed this sentiment to my students the other day and I had an interesting mix of vigorous head nodding and snickers. Anyway, August is always sort of rough, so September is so very welcomed right now. Some things on the horizon that I'm excited about:
1. THREE day weekend! Threeeeeee!
2. I have a few things planned with friends on various weekends, which makes me so happy. Over the years I have acquired a half-a-dozen or so close friends that are accepting, fun, and intelligent, which is pretty much all I've ever wanted, socially.
3. I get to to go to a Jonathan Safran Foer reading! Finally.
4. Speaking of Foer, both he and Ann Patchett have new books coming out this month. I'm sure there are others, but I haven't spent some quality time with the internet lately trying to figure out the fall new releases.
5. At the end of the month we're taking Sawyer to his first MLB game- our Giants are playing the Padres in San Diego, so we're heading south for the evening to watch the boys in orange and black play (and stuff our faces with wonderful stadium food). Sawyer had a blast at the minor league game we took him to in July, so I think this will be great.
6. We're are hoping to get over to the LACMA at some point so that my husband can see the Guillermo del Toro exhibit and so that we can just spend some time visiting in general. It runs through November, though, so this might get pushed back.
7. It's getting cooler! Yes, there will be plenty of September days in the 90s, but the 80s are pushing in, and the nights are cooler. It's not "fall," but I'll take it.