Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts



Link up, link back, say hey!

1. Today is the last day of our first heat wave (supposedly). We've been up at 100 for a few days now, and I while I know other places in the country have it far worse, it's still pretty disgusting. I must say how thankful I am for our attic fan (or whole house fan), that cools off our upstairs once it gets cool at night for pennies, compared to the AC.

2. I love my life, most of the time, but I can't sometimes help wishing I had become an OBGYN so I could join up with Doctor's Without Borders and go help women deliver babies and learn about prenatal care in developing nations. I really, really feel called to do that, but I can't because talking about themes and motifs and everything else I am trained to do probably would not be helpful as they're trying to push something the size of a football through a hole the size of a grape (or something like that).

3. Am I the only person distrusting of Airbnbs? I love the price and the idea of all the variety, but it just seems strange to me.

4. I've had this fear that the preschool Sawyer is set to start at soon somehow lost his paperwork and didn't save his spot (it's hard to find a good, secular preschool where we live), so I finally put on my big-girl pants and called and we're good to go (I had signed up in February, so it's been awhile). They also invited me to come pick up some of the calendars for the next month so he can go on field trips or participate in family night, which I thought was nice. He is SO excited to go and give his love of the teachers and kids at gymnastics I think he's going to do well.

5. I made the above cake for an early birthday for my mom, who has been visiting. I love The Milk Bar's style of cake making so much- sure it's a little bit of a pain, but it's so forgiving and you don't have to worry about a crumb coat. 

6. I got back on the Goodreads train! I spent an entire nap time last week putting in all the books I have record of since starting my blog many years ago and the ones I haven't gotten around to yet. I'm not putting a widget on the blog, since I don't want to screw up the design I didn't make, but I'm going to attempt to put one in below so that anyone can follow me if they want (who knows if it will work).

 
 Goodreads: Book reviews, recommendations, and discussion

7. I am reading Waking Lions by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen right now and am really enjoying it. It's about a doctor in the deserts of Israel who kills an African refugee and must then pay the price in an unexpected way once the man's widow arrives at his doorstep. 

6 comments:

  1. That cake looks delicious! Welcome back to GR :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodreads saves me more often than not. When I can't remember if I've read a specific book, I go there...and chances are, they'll have the answer. I always enter my reviews there after finishing a book. I joined in 2008!

    Love that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That had to have been a task for you on Goodreads.

    Our weather doesn't know it is summer yet. :)

    I actually have on a light sweater.

    I am reading THE WILDLING SISTERS...enjoying it. I like it better than her first book, BLACK RABBIT HALL, even though it was good too.

    Nice cake!!


    Have a great day.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cake looks so good!

    Welcome (back?) to goodreads! I am the opposite, I tend to back off blogging and go to goodreads more. ^^;

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cake! I'm dying to make the MOMOFUKU birthday cake milk cake - https://www.browneyedbaker.com/momofuku-birthday-cake/ just can't find the time...but I will eventually. It looks SOOO yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've used AirBnb for renting a whole house and also campsites, but I just can't get behind renting a room and sharing with the host family. It just seems weird and I don't think I'd be able to relax, which is the point of my vacations (generally).

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS