Christmas Projects #3: Garland

My last little Christmas Project was a simple green garland intertwined with burlap and red ribbon cinched (or something) together with string. It was pretty simple once I was able to deal with the measurements of my banister (which I hate and want to redo, but that's neither here nor there) and make the always painful trek to Michael's... twice. I'm over it, so let's proceed.

18-ish feet of ribbon
18-ish feet of burlap (after it was spliced)
15-ish feet of greenery (3 standard cheap packs from Michael's)
Heavy duty needle
Heavy duty string

1. The burlap that I bought was too wide, so I spliced it down the middle. I also cut enough string to go up one side of the bannister twice, just to be safe. 

[does this not look like DNA transcription?]

2. This is hard to articulate, but the best way I can describe it is that I made several folds of equal size (every two inches) to create a sort of cinched gather. I then stuck the need through the bunch (four major folds was as thick as I could shove the needle through).

3. Repeat many, many times, pulling the sewn burlap and ribbon out so it's not too bunched up (unless that's how you want it; then you'd need more). 

4. The best way to see if it's ready is to just test it out- I did this a few times on the first try especially. 

5. When you have your desired length, twist it with your greenery and secure the ends. Repeat if you have another bannister to deal with.

6. If you don't want to deal with the sewing/gathering part, just twist the burlap, ribbon, and greenery together. In retrospect I wish I would have done this just to save time and preserve my patience... 

[shitty pictures... sorry]

No comments:

Post a Comment