A Bookish (Surprise) Baby Shower

I've always been pretty vocal about not wanting a baby shower- I've turned down family and well-intentioned friends over the last few months. Two of my very good friends decided they had other ideas, though, and threw me a surprise book-themed one over the weekend. It was incredibly thoughtful and they took great care to make it something that I would like (and I did)- there weren't any games, they tracked down friends they didn't know well, scouted out my Pinterest boards to see what foods I'd like, and consulted my husband on the logistics (it was a coed shower, but really just felt like a lot of great people hanging out with good food and baby gifts). And it was bookish! They had everyone sign a copy of Where the Wild Things Are and bring a book. There were book quotes printed and framed throughout the house and even the invitation and favors were book-related.





Admittedly, I go through great lengths to not let people do things for me. I decline help, I refuse to ask for things, and I hate feeling like an imposition. The fact that these girls, and everyone else who took time out of their busy lives to attend, were willing to go through such trouble for me (I guess the planning started a few months ago!) meant so, so, so much. It was one of those days that I needed someone to do something nice for me... and boy did I get hit the jackpot! I had absolutely no idea that they had planned it, and the little comments they had made over the last few weeks totally threw my off course. I'm so incredibly lucky to have these people in my life! 

The snarky sarcasm will be back soon, I promise.  

9 comments:

  1. That's really awesome! Those are some fantastic friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky, with great friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw that is so great! I'm glad you enjoyed it and you have awesome friends...that's the kind of shower I would want!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have some pretty amazing friends. What a wonderful surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, glad you liked everything! We really enjoyed planning it for you and Baby C!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice idea! Sounds like your friends really took into account what you would want. Awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a good idea! If there's one thing babies can't have too many of, it's books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! My friend had a non-bookish baby shower but everyone brought a book and wrote a note to the baby on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's wonderful that your friends organised this--and such a great theme too! :) I love the invitation card, hehe, and those are some awesome titles your baby is going to be reading! =D

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS