Running Around (Again)

I've taken to this space several times before to discuss my running, for better of worse. Calling it running seems a little indulgent, to be honest, since I am quite slow, but jogging just sound sounds lame. So humor me- I run. I've been a runner for many, many years and ran my first half marathon in 2010 (I think?). Since then I have done 11 and a smattering of 5ks and 10ks, both of which are awkward distances for me, as my goal is always endurance and never speed. I haven't run a half marathon in over a year and a half, due to a deformed toe, an extra bone in my ankle, a mysterious hip pain, and lack of time. I've maintained an active lifestyle, working out 4-6 times a week in various ways, though, so despite not being race-ready, I'm still not exactly a couch potato. 

This summer things started changing, though. I wanted to train. I needed to train. My hip problem had gotten progressively worse, though, and after and MRI and a visit with the orthopedist I ended up with a cortisone shot, which has made the pain 95% disappear. I've slowly added the miles back on over the last five weeks, aiming to run four times a week for whatever I can manage. I signed up for a 10k in October and realized that if I decided to train for my favorite half marathon, Surf City, in Huntington Beach, in February, this would work perfectly training wise. 

I didn't want to jump the gun, though, and told myself if I could keep to a four-times a week plan for five weeks and was feeling good then I could sign up for the half. So I did and I did. My hip feels great and my toe is fine if I tape it up carefully. My endurance has also been steadily increasing (it's nowhere near what it needs to be, though) and I have lost a few pounds as well. Training to train has been positive.

I have to admit being a little nervous about the whole thing, though. I am six months out from race day and I created a training plan for myself that calls for four runs a week with one long one on the weekends, which is a time commitment that I will be tough at times. Luckily the weather will cool down some soon, which will make things easier, but still. Running for an hour at night after a long day or work once Sawyer is in bed isn't always what I want to do, nor is getting up and busting out anywhere from 3.5 to 12.5 on a Saturday or Sunday morning. I have also not decided on a system of incorporating speed work, nor have I made any sort of commitment to strength training, which my legs and core need. There are some holes in my plan, obviously. 

I want this race to be different than the rest. I've never been great at sticking to a training plan and it's been a very long time since I PR'ed. I don't necessarily expect to do that this time around (or do I?), but I want to finish feeling like I didn't waste my time training. 

Here we go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS