Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts: Thanksgiving Edition



Happy Thanksgiving Eve! Are you prepping up a storm? Daring the stores? Kicking back because someone else has it handled this year? I'm in the thick of preparations with turkey on the brain- for that reason I've decided to stick with the holiday theme today.

1. I didn't host last year, but have several times in the past (this is probably the fifth time? Something like that). It's a lot of work (and money), but I really enjoy it. It was just the three of us last year and I was a little bummed. I think there will be eleven of us, which is perfect!

2. I love love love making pies, but I actually don't really like them. At all. I usually take a thin slice of pumpkin and take a few bites, but they're really just not my thing. I am, though, a purist when it comes to Thanksgiving meal items and just got myself to bring mac-and-cheese into the mix for the kids two years ago. This year, though, I decided SCREW IT ALL and am making a pan of brownies with frosting. I should get a damn dessert. 

3. Every seven years my birthday falls on the holiday. I kind of hate it. 

4. I am a total brining convert- it really helps retain the moisture in the bird.

5. I love that most recipes for Thanksgiving are pretty forgiving. The turkey really just needs to be cooked all the way, but things like stuffing and gravy are pretty reasonable. 

6. The first year I hosted I went to pull out the turkey to check it and baste it and spilled hot turkey drippings all along my side- I ended up with massive blisters all down my side, immediately. The show must go on, right? I changed my clothes, rinsed off the turkey juice, and kept on hosting. Later.... ouch. I had scars until I was pregnant, which they disappeared after!

7. I love that this holiday is all about food and hanging out, not gifts. 

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving! Be thankful! 


2 comments:

  1. I've never tried brining, I'll have to look into that for next year. I cook the turkey upside down for the first hour or two, then flip it for the rest of the time. I'm finishing up prep right now (we're night owls haha). Just the pumpkin pie and a green bean/bacon side dish. Everything else is tomorrow and easy, since there's just three of us. :) My wife is like you - she's not a fan of pies. So we're making her chocolate chip cookies instead. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your feast! I don't miss hosting...I like sitting back, having brought my contribution, and visiting with the hostess and other guests.

    Happy Thanksgiving! Here are MY BOOKISH & NOT SO BOOKISH THOUGHTS

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS