Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts


Hey there, Kentucky. Feeling a little blue, eh?

You know you’re of the bookish variety whennnnnnn…. you get excited when you see two authors you like hanging out together (Rebecca Makkai and Alexander Chee).

I am listening to the podcast “The Thing About Pam” and it’s so fascinating. The Keith Morrison’s, the host, voice is so dramatic and broadcaster-y, so it took me awhile to get used to it. Basically, it’s an investigation of a murder case from a few years ago that I was lucky enough not to know anything about. I’m not a huge true-crime buff or anything, but this one is really well-done.

Some good news was bestowed down upon my  family (finally) this week and I am so disappointed in myself to not allow myself to get swept up in it. Instead, I’m waiting for the good thing to turn bad.

Sawyer and I have a deep love of Fleetwood Mac, his of recent note, after hearing the song “Go Your Own Way” in a movie. He wants to go to one of their concerts and I saw that they’re going to be in Vegas in a week. It is taking every ounce of self-control to not get tickets and make a turn-around trip out there for a weekend. And, let’s face it- he’d probably get bored and tired. (See, I’m clearly working hard on convincing myself to refrain).

Have you ever completed the rose, thorn, bud exerciser? Basically, you think about something that’s going awesome or is really positive in your life (the rose), something troublesome (the thorn), and something that you’re looking forward to or has potential (the bud). I read about this recently and think it would be such a great thing to do with my students or as a quick way to journal. It’s a great way of looking at life.

I have been really babying my bad ankle lately, wearing a compression brace daily, icing it nightly, and never walking barefoot, and it’s been feeling really good lately. So good that, coupled with my rediscovery of the Jay-Z/Linkin Park “Collision Course” album, I’ve been considering a half marathon next February. I swore that I was done with distance running after the last one, but I’d like to have more of a purpose for daily running/exercising (because, you know, health isn’t enough, apparently).  I want someone to make up my mind for me.

So, back in, like 2007 I had pumpkin soup for the first time, on a cruise. It was delicious and amazing, but every kind I’ve had since has been way too sweet. I’m officially on a very autumn-quest to find the perfect recipe (and find a cheap emulsion blender to make it with).

My son, who is in kindergarten, is super into making projects with glue and construction paper and it’s the best. It’s so consuming! He will sit for an hour or two and create, only stopping to show me or ask for more supplies. He told me this morning that he was going to make me a lawn gnome for my classroom, so I’m pretty excited. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS