Five Things About... Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner

 



I earmarked so many passages to potentially use with my students, whether for them to analyze syntax, description, or emotionally-rich diction. 


I am a huge sucker for memoirs based around food, whether the act of eating, foodie tourism, or restaurants, which is ironic because I am most definitely not an adventurous eater. Nonetheless, I love hearing and reading the passion that comes with people’s experiences with food, and this gushes from every page (hey, you should hear my talk about milk fat to water ratios in ice cream). I often read cookbooks cover to cover, so what can I say?


While it’s always impossible to know how honest a stranger really is, this memoir feels genuine. Zauner admits her flaws and isn’t afraid to discuss complex family dynamics. Her authenticity encourage empathy, even of her alcoholic father or of her own mistakes. 


Mother-daughter relationships are complex in all families and cultures, and we have a front row seat for Zauner’s perspective. The poignant retelling of her relationship with her mom before and after illness was heartbreaking and beautiful.


Obviously when someone is ill, mentally or physically, the first priority is the person suffering. Of course. But as a society I think we forget about the caretakers and the families in general- it’s so hard for spouses, children, siblings, etc… to watch their loved ones suffer. Often they’re grieving while having to put their own lives on hold, all the while having to dig deep into a skill set they may not have really used before (bathing an adult? Being patient during meltdowns? Handling medications and appointments?). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS