1. A student brought me this- it's a potato, on a pencil. I'm not really sure what to say about it, except that it's still there, on my desk, being a potato.
2. I'm not into boxing as a sport, but man I'd like to go to a huge fight at, say, Mandalay Bay.
And maybe I would see Julia Roberta, Brad Pitt, and Matt Damon there.
3. Add writing slump to my reading slump- since school started I have written approximately ZERO effing pages. The last month of vacation I was up to 75. I'm trying to accept that fact that NaNoWriMo might be called for to finish things up.
4. There are days where I actually consider moving back down to teaching elementary again, something I never thought I'd say. I love my students- I most definitely prefer teenagers to children, but the work load is insane. The bureaucracy at the high school level is also much more intense, which is something I could do without some days. I'm fine with where I'm at for now, and possibly forever, but it is a card that I'm keeping in my back pocket. I know elementary would be a total breeze compared to life now, although taking the easy way out is sort of a pussy way to handle life.
5. Speaking of teaching at a high school, it's homecoming week, meaning yearbook is hosting it's second annual lemonade stand at the carnival Friday after school. I'm bluntly honest to my kids- I really hate carnival. It's a massive pain in the ass and we make very little money, but I feel obligated since everyone else participates and I'd have to sit out there and supervise anyway. All I know is that if a kid pays to have me put in the "jail" that the wrestlers put on they have another thing coming.
6. I haven't had anything big or exciting planned the last few weeks and am starting to develop a mild case of cabin fever. I'm a firm believer in having things to look forward to lined up- if not, there's really no point... to life. Luckily I'm going to the Marisha Pessl reading tonight, have to take tickets at the homecoming game with another friend tomorow, and then am going to Orange County for the afternoon with a pal Saturday. Aaaaaand then Sunday we're back to normal- writing like twelve letters of recommendation for students and napping.
7. I just read an article about the Navy Yard gunman's mother's apology and just can't fathom what it would be like to see your child turn into such a monster. I don't know their particular history, but to do your best providing a loving, stable home for your child and then for something in their brain click the other way? Nature vs. nurture, people.
8. I had two people post these hilarious articles (Whole Foods and bad first lines) on my Facebook wall yesterday.
9. I might make this, if I can get over harming an innocent book:
10. I'm holding out on the iOS 7 for as long as possible. I don't like change, what can I say (although the ability to opt out of an annoying group text would be nice).