|[time to learn to cook! and sew! and take care of the home! source]|
This weeks Top Ten Tuesday from The Broke and the Bookish is a freebie, so I decided to go on a slightly different path. Traditionally I turn to books to teach me how to do things- cook, take care of a newborn, train for a half marathon, etc... But some things you need some more hands-on instruction for. So today my list is ten things that I'd like to be able to do, with lessons or classes or some sort of tutoring:
1. Sewing: I have a machine and some basic knowledge, but how awesome would it be to be able to sew my own, custom-made clothes? I'm envisioning vintage McCall's patterns that lead to dresses that look like they're from Anthro of Modcloth.
2. Decorate cakes/cupcakes: I go the actual cake part down, but my decorating skills are pretty abysmal.
3. Change a tire: I have AAA, but they can be slow.
4. Archery: I'm concerned with my lack of upper-body strength on this one, but I think my brother and I might take a lesson this summer at a range right up the road.
5. The piano: I'm pretty sure this would end badly, but I've always been told I have "piano fingers" and think it would be pretty cool to play some Elton John. Because Chopsticks is too basic.
6. Calligraphy: This is probably pretty amusing to those that know me, because I have pretty shitty writing. Fact: a student thought I wrote "bullshit" on her paper when she got it back today, when it was in fact "bashing." Oops. I think it would be nice to be forced to slow down and be a little more aware of my penmanship.
7. Makeup: I can do the basics, but I'd love to get better at everything past that.
8. Basic house maintenance: Toilet fixing, shelf hanging, faucet leak fixing, etc...
9. Dog grooming: Cordie is a furry beast that is scared of the (expensive groomer).
10. Pure Barre: We have a knock-off studio nearby that I might try this summer, and if I like it I might get some of the DVDs to add to my at-home routines.
Your turn- what have you always wanted a chance to either learn to do or improve at?