Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts



Happy Wednesday! Link up, link back, say hey!

1. I bought myself a little Keurig for my classroom and it way the best decision I've made in a long time. Why did it take so long? My room is freezing and I'm always tired- now I can be warm and artificially awake. It's a win-win.

2. I recently stayed Celeste Ng's Little Fires Everywhere, which I am liking so far, but I think I will have to put it on the back burner so I can read Evicted for book club in two weeks. I've heard mixed reviews, so I've been dragging my feet on starting. 

3. I also need to start rereading Michael Ondaatje's Running in the Family, since that's what we're reading next, now that our study of Macbeth it finally over. I have grown to love the play, but we're approaching two months, which is more than enough on any work, as far as I'm concerned. 

4. I finished my last audiobook and was really stumped on my next selection. On a whim I downloaded What I Was Doing While You Were Breeding by Kristin Newman, a travel memoir. So far it's pretty entertaining and perfect for the car. 

5. This weekend is going to be a busy one! Saturday we have Sawyer's pumpkin patch for preschool and a community safety event nearby that has emergency vehicles on display (I have a three-year-old, free things like this make him very happy). Sunday, if the weather is cool enough, the three of us are going to head to Knott's Berry Farm. And somewhere in there I plan to make croissants, clean my house, run 5 or 6 miles, and grade 57439439573 papers. Gimme all the coffee. 

********
Now for the serious business:

6. Now is the time to talk about gun control. Actually, years and years ago was the time to talk about and act on it. Why the hell do civilians need assault rifles? Why would they ever need a silencer? Why do they need dozens of weapons? Fine, have your one or two shotguns after you've passed extensive background to go shoot ducks or whatever out in the country, if that's your thing. I'm not saying no guns ever. What I am saying is that we need some massive reform and we needed it years ago. 

7. Puerto Rico is a mother-effing mess and those people are Americans. And is now, when they're hungry and thirsty and dying, really the time to deliver guilt trips about the budget, which they contribute to financially? I think not. So stop throwing paper towels at these poor people and get them the support they need. 

8. How did the day come where Rex Tillerson looks... somewhat qualified? How is he the voice of reason? 

3 comments:

  1. Little Fires Everywhere has been the only book I've finished so far this week. I loved it, and it helped distract me from the horrendous events in the world, both this week and the last several.

    Pumpkin Patch and Knott's Berry Farm sound good! Enjoy!




    ReplyDelete
  2. For your serious ones... Unfortunately, the people who need to listen, never will. :(

    I saw someone like a post that was about how Vegas was a "leftish conspiracy" to force the banning of guns.
    SERIOUSLY. *ugh*
    Oh, and my mother deactivated facebook because she couldn't take people being obtuse. O_O (That's the main way I communicate with her so I noticed immediately and had to check on her via text.)

    I plan on getting my husband a keurig for Christmas. We used to have one, but it was one of the newer fancier models that never caught on (Vue). It was a great machine, but since the new model didn't catch on... the pods were too expensive. Looking at getting the original style for him. *^-^*

    Pumpkin patches are always fun. I hope the weather stays nice for you. We had a couple days of perfect weather. (70-75. Sunny. Not humid) Now it's creeping back up. D:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I want a Keurig for my classroom! That sounds heavenly. The principal brews coffee right outside my classroom but, communal coffee pots make me nervous. Especially since she only cleans the pot sporadicly.

    The gun control issue just boggles my mind. I agree with you, WHY on earth does anyone need a freakin' machine gun? It's disturbing how people WANT and NEED to have the rights to these types of weapons. Are these TOYS for some people? I've never used a gun and I hope I never have to but, I hear that when you shoot a gun you feel this power in your body... this confidence. What kinds of feelings are people getting when they shoot rounds and round from an assault rifle? It just can't be good.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS