Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

[spotted on the way to preschool]


Link up, link back, say hey!

Ten things I've done lately:

1. Went to Knott's Berry Farm with Sawyer and Scott over the weekend. It had been a decade since I'd gone and it was Sawyer's first time- we had a blast! Tickets are cheap if you buy them online and then for like ten bucks more than a regular gate ticket you can upgrade to an annual pass, so I did. The park is so much more affordable and less busy that Disneyland, so it will be fun option for Sawyer and I. 

[confession: I ate an entire boysenberry funnel cake at Knott's]


2. Bite my tongue, many, many times. Sometimes this is good, but sometimes I think I let people get away with things. 

3. Take Sawyer out cruising on his scooter. He's getting good! 



4. Have bad dreams. The other night I dreamt that I was late to a morning meeting and when I got to preschool to drop Sawyer off I realized I had left him upstairs with Scott and was two hours late to something important. 

5. Decide to take the plunge and book the lodging for our summer vacation. I hope to do it in the next few days and will do the flights later (we are going to Banff in Canada!). I always have a reason to possibly put off a large trip (intimidated by schlepping around a car seat alone in an airport, my financial conservatism, etc...). I need something super awesome to look forward to. Plus the idea of getting my three-year-old a passport is equal parts awesome and weird to me (I got my first one when I was in my mid-twenties!). 

6. Cancel my tickets to the Jennifer Egan reading next week, since it's on parent-teacher conference night. Womp womp womp.

7. Run and run and run. I have a 10k on Sunday and while I don't have major hopes of doing amazing, I am fairly confident I will manage okay for where I am at right now. The biggest issue I am having right now is the fact that while this hobby makes me feel fit and less stressed, it also makes me more tired than I already am.

8. Make very slow process on reading Evicted for book club next week. 

9. Bought a new comforter for the guest bedroom- my mom is coming in to town next weekend and my mother-in-law the weekend after (Sawyer will be in heaven! So many grandmas!). Guess where the comforter is? In the bags, on the floor, because there's so much crap on the actual bed. Sigh. 

10. Worry about the fires. The Canyon 2 fire is about thirty minutes away from us, so while we aren't at risk it's been so upsetting seeing people so close lose their homes and not be able to get past evacuation boundaries. The fires upstate are far, far worse and even more devastating. I think the common perception was that California would have an easier fire season because we had so much rain last winter. In reality, the rain catalyzed a ton of growth, when then naturally dried out during the hot summer. And here we are. 

5 comments:

  1. Knotts Berry Farm and Banff sound fun! *^-^*

    Best of luck on the marathon!

    I have nothing to say to adequately express the sadness I feel for everyone affected by the fires. I hope they die down soon, though I know it's not likely. :( Glad you are safe though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Knott's Berry Farm, but haven't been there in many years.

    The fires are so scary...and the loss of the Napa homes and surrounding areas is devastating, like all fire loss.

    Enjoy your days with Sawyer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on number two. Sometimes I'm not sure whether to speak up or not - oftentimes it comes down to whether I think it is worth it to rock the boat...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have friends in Napa so I've been following the news. So scary. Happy to hear that you haven't had to evacuate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've started my running routine back. It's been stop...start..stop...start for 2017. I was doing well until January when I broke my leg. That stopped me for four months. I've been building up to it again since then but I've had the crud and other stuff that keep me from being as intentional as I'd like. I had to take the last week off due to the crud. And it stunk! And running will wear you out, but I've found it makes me sleep better if I'm doing something active during the day.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS