February Reads



Happy March! I really, really, thought I was going to read more last month, since I had a whole week off. Four books isn't too shabby, though. Two of the books were fluffy and the other two much more literary and serious- sometimes you need balance. 

The American Marriage by Tayari Jones
306 pages
After less than two years of marriage, Roy is locked up for a crime he did not commit while his wife, an artist, Celestial, is left alone to cope. While Roy struggles in prison, she ends up spending more and more time with her childhood friend. Eventually the two are clearly together and not shortly after Roy is released early. Things get complicated really fast.

Verdict: The synopsis cheapens the novel a bit, perhaps, but this really was a captivating, beautifully-written story that I will be recommending to pretty much anything. Jones portrays the three different perspectives expertly, leaving the reader at a loss with whom to side with. 

Still Me by Jojo Moyes 
388 pages
Louisa ventures from the UK to New York City to be an assistant for the wife of an incredible wealthy man. She has to learn to navigate the city, make new friends, handle the family, and deal with a long distance relationship.

Verdict: For the majority of the point I struggled with the actual point of the book. Character study? No. Travelogue? No. Coming of age? No. It just was way too fluffy for me and lacked any depth at all. Her first book in the trilogy was fine, but each book after has gotten progressively worse.

How Not to Hate Your Husband After Kids by Jancee Dunn
269 pages
Jancee Dunn and her husband have issues after their first kid- they fight more, there's unequal distribution of labor, and their different personalities make things tough to cope with this huge life change. In order to save her marriage, she undertakes several different little strategies to make things more harmonious, wether it comes to chores, handling tempers, or spending time alone.

Verdict: Let me preface this by saying I hated my husband BEFORE we had kids, so that's not why I go this book. Juuuuust kidding. I actually saw a blogger read and enjoy it, so I figured what the heck. Dunn was super funny and I think more than anything I just enjoyed the confirmation that every couple has problems, fights in the same circles, and has to work hard. 

The Golden House by Salman Rushdie
380 pages
The Goldens move into a house in NYC and their neighbors immediately realize how mysterious they are, using different names and not telling anyone their backstory. The narrator ends up sort of infiltrating the family, planning out a documentary about them at the same time. While doing this he becomes completely immersed, trying to balance out his involvement and personal life. There is a lot of chaos towards the middle and end. 

Verdict: I found my interest in the story really inconsistent, which was tough after a rocky start. As a whole I'd give a B-, just because at the end of the day Rushdie still has a brilliant way with words. 

1,343 pages 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS