December Reviews



This is going to be snappy, because I have bigger fish to fry- my top ten of the year, of course (and maybe a top ten of the decade at some point this week?). I strategically chose some shorter ones that I knew would be easier to get through, since this woman had a Goodreads goal to accomplish. Interestingly, six of the seven were nonfiction, which I often find faster than fiction (if they're the right ones, that is... a 700 page biography on a dead president isn't going to work here). 

The only novel I read this month Red at the Bone by Jacqueline Woodson, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The book examines race, class, and teenage pregnancy, as observed through multiple perspectives. 

I read two books of essays, Shrill by Lindy West and I Was Told There'd Be Cake be Sloane Crosley. I actually saw both women interview other authors at UCLA this year, otherwise they probably wouldn't have crossed my radar. Both were well-done and I'd gladly read their other books. 

Three of the other books I read tied in closely to nature, The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben, Classic Krakauer by Jon Krakauer, and We Are the Weather by Jonathan Safran Foer. The first two I really enjoyed, but the Safran Foer wasn't my favorite. I appreciate his attempts at blending a personal narrative with his message about how we can fix climate change, but I just felt the execution fell short of really delivering.

For book club we read Heavy by Kiese Laymon, which was just that- heavy. His story about race, weight, and identity was heart-wrenching at times, but it offered really critical insights on what it means to be black, overweight, incredibly intelligent, and insecure in America. It was definitely thought-provoking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS