Promising 2020 Releases

2020 is shaping up to be a pretty intense year when it comes to book releases- I was floored to see how many authors who I’ve read and enjoyed have something new coming out this year (plus some that I am unfamiliar with but look interesting). Here’s a list of things on my radar:

Verge by Lidia Yuknavitch- This collection of short stories focus on people who are misunderstood; I anticipate being a bit uncomfortable as I read this, but sometimes we need to feel this way.

Weather by Jenny Offill- I read Dept of Speculation a few years ago and continue to often think about it. Clearly this new novel about a university librarian is a given for me.

Amnesty by Aravind Adiga- The author of the White Tiger brings us a novel that focuses on an undocumented worker in Australia who becomes involved in a complicated murder investigation.

Real Life by Brandon Taylor- I love that this complicated book about identity takes place in a weekend; I love when authors stretch themselves with time constraints and pacing.

The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich- I have sadly only read one of her books, The Round House, but I recognize her talent and the premise for this novel sounds fascinating.

So We Can Glow by Lessa Cross Smith- I love the focus on this short story collection is female desire; I think last year’s Three Women is going to catalyze a stronger, more popular, literary examination of this.

The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel- Obviously.

Afterlife by Julia Alvarez- I’ll admit that I didn’t love How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents, but I do recognize that she’s a talented writer. I love that her new novel focuses on a retired English professor (clearly a little autobiographic) and the challenges that face her personally and morally.

Death in Her Hands by Ottessa Moshfegh- Her books are definitely a little unconventional, but she’s hooked me with her unique prose.

All Adults Here by Emma Straub- I can already see this one being a great spring break or poolside read.

The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett- I really loved The Mothers, so I can’t wait to see what her sophomore efforts will entail.

Utopia Avenue by David Mitchell- My husband and I are huge Mitchell fans, so maybe we’ll do an in-house book club for his newest novel about a psychedelic band.

You Exist Too Much by Zaina Arafat- The title alone! The subject matter has to do with sexuality, race, and familial relations.

Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi- I can’t to see what this novel, which sounds quite different than Homegoing, will pan out.

Hood Feminism by Mikki Kendall- This focus on intersectionality and what “white feminism” has forgotten seems like a really important reminder for all of us.


Yellow Bird by Sierra Crane Murdoch- This nonfictional investigation about an oil worker’s disappearance springboards into a look at how the oil industry impacts Native lands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS