Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

If you hate social distancing than you have to suck it up and play by the rules: wear a mask in public, stay home unless you must work or do something essential (groceries, doctor, bank deposit, etc...), practice good hygiene, and don't hoard medical supplies. The rules apply to everyone, the end. 



Sawyer has had quite the social calendar lately- he  doe share-and-tell with friends a few times a week, FaceTimes two of his friends like once a week and yesterday he got to do a Zoom meeting with some of the kids from his class (he goes to a private school and they are providing child care for students of essential workers). It's been so good to see him interact with those his own age again. He didn't know about his class one yesterday, because I was a little worried it would fall through, so the look of surprise was pretty great.

Dr. Fauci said that he believes school will return in the fall, which made me feel so excited and hopeful, since there are a lot of people in the education community saying otherwise. Of course we have to prepare for the worst, and changes will have to be made in a lot of ways, but hearing his optimism was so nice. 

I keep forgetting Easter is approaching. Luckily I anticipated shipping issues several weeks ago, so I did all my basket shopping already, and also ordered all of Sawyer's birthday presents and whatnot too. I have a dinner planned and we'll do our usual bunny cake and egg dying. We have never done a lot for the holiday, so it feels like it will be normal. 

I keep falling down the rabbit hole of  educational subscription boxes for kids- the Little Passports one seems super cute... NOT THAT WE CAN GO ANYWHERE RIGHT NOW. 

The other day I didn't feel well, something totally unrelated to The Virus, and it really scared me because the idea of needing to seek medical attention right now seems like such a no-no. I just keep thinking about all these people who may be newly diagnosed with cancer, or people who have household accidents, or whatever. There are so many other non-covid related reasons to need to see a doctor and now the healthcare system is so... complicated. 

I am having a lot of trouble not working these days- it's one of the problems of working from home. I feel compelled to work all day, which is not the way it's supposed to be. Emails, fine, since I need to be accessible to students and colleagues as much as possible, but I need to set some better boundaries. Hats off to all of you who work from home on the regular!

I am reading Lauren Wilkinson's American Spy and it's so good! I hope to finish today so that I can start one of Don DeLillo's, which Julie and I will post about together in a new Bookish Banter post. 

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes it seems like this will go on forever, but I am trying to stay positive. I wanted more time at home, and now I have it.

    It doesn't feel much like Easter, does it? I finally bought some basket supplies, but need to buy the non-food items yet. Nothing big.

    I was spending a ton of time working, too. I set myself some home life goals so I could get a better balance.

    Hope you have a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Staying home serves two purposes, not only to reduce/slow spread the virus, but also to reduce incidences that usually crowd hospitals like car accidents, sports injuries, assaults while its under pressure from those with the virus. I think a lot of people don’t recognise that.
    I hope you are well now.

    Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS