September Reviews- Bastard Alert

I have seventeen billion excuses as to why I only read one book this month.

One.

Damn.

Crap.

Pathetic.

And it was a kid's book.

I am so, so very ashamed.


[source]

And now I'm over it. At least it was a good one:

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick
630 Pages

Many of you may be familiar with Selznick's first children's novel, The Invention of Hugo Cabret- this one was almost as good in respect to story, but better in regards to artwork. Two parallel stories run between the expressive, intricate sketches and the text, eventually merging at the end. The main character Ben, is a young boy whose mom has recently passed away and doesn't know who his dad is (bastard!). Already hard of hearing in one ear, the poor kid becomes fully deaf after a freak accident. He decides to venture to New York City to find his dad, based on a few clues he's managed to rummage up in his mom's old belongings. And thus, adventure ensues. A quick read (don't be put off by the 600+ page count, it's almost half art) that is really what kids should be reading. Even if the main character is a bastard.

If I was a good blogger I'd mention the book was free as an advanced copy through Amazon Vine.

So next month I'll be making up for this and reading ten books. Yup. Sure.

1 comment:

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS