Thirsty Thursday

It's been a long week. Wasn't drinking night in college Thursday?

Three things to be excited about:


1. John Irving is coming to LA on June 21 to read from In One Person, his novel due out in May. The even is hosted Live Talks LA and is at the Aero Theater for a mere $25. I've always been a fan- I love The World According to Garp, A Prayer for Owen Meany and Cider House Rules. I'll be there! I missed him due to illness when he was in LA a few years ago, so I feel like the literary Gods are gifting me with a redo.

2. I'm starting two novels with my students: All Quiet on the Western Front with my regular sophomore classes and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn with the AP kids. Even though these may not quite be my first choices, I still prefer teaching this way. I am going to have to reread both, though, since it's been about 14 years...

3. It's my turn to pick for book club, which by the way, is approximately one year old (and we're only on our seventh book... oops). Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov it is. Who doesn't love some sleazy underage Russian sex? I can't believe I've never read it, so it's about damn time.

1 comment:

  1. I've never read All Quiet on the Western Front, but I have seen the movie. It was way different from what I was expecting. Is the book good? For some reason, I have this fascination with reading books that are assigned for school but that I never read. I just have this weird feeling that I'm missing out on something, so I feel compelled to read these books. (I have read To Kill a Mockingbird, 1984, Animal Farm, and most recently Farenheit 451 for this reason.)*

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS