Top Ten Tuesday- A Rough Draft

The Broke and the Bookish ask us what our Top Ten books this year are and I'm a little hesitant to make the call already. I usually do a big post at the end of December just in case any of the books I read the last two weeks of the year make the cut. So, consider this the short list- fifteen hopefuls with the possiblity of additions if I read anything great in the next two weeks.

1. Into Thin Air by John Krakauer- I found the story of these Everest climbers absolutely rivoting.

2. The Thieves of Manhattan by Adam Langer- Hilariously witty book that is part mystery, part publishing industry satire.

3. When the Killing's Done by TC Boyle- Two perspectives on wild boar population control told through a fictional narrative.

4. Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer- An interesting (and of course subjective) look at vegetarianism.

5. Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn- Quirky, fun read about governmental control. 

6. A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood- A brief look into a gay man's heartache in the 1950s.

7.  The Barbarian Nurseries by Hector Tobar- What rich white people look like to the mistreated Mexican help.

8. Family Fang by Kevin Wilson- Hilarious story of a dysfunctional family of performance artists. 

9. Habibi by Craig Thompson- The first graphic novel I've ever read- great story, amazing illustrations. 

10. The Hottest Dishes of the Tartar Cuisine by Alina Bronsky- The laugh-aloud story of a Russian woman whose teenaged daughter gets pregnant.

11. Arcadia by Lauren Groff- Hippies, friendship, and love.

12. The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach- More than just baseball, this well-written story is about friendship and growing up.

13. Fun Home by Alison Bechdel- My second graphic novel, this autobiographical coming-of-age story was honest and raw.

14. The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving by Jonathan Evison- A lost caregiver befriends his charge and ends up taking him on a road trip.

15. Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka-Brunt- I loved everything about this book; the teenaged protagonist must come to terms with her uncle's death from AIDS. 

What was your favorite this year?

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the list! I've only read one (Into Thin Air) and one of them is on my Goodreads list. I'll have to look into the rest:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list - agree on Harbach (my favourite book of the year). Have heard so much good stuff about Tell the Wolves I'm Home; adding The Hottest Dishes and A Single Man to my TBR stack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Into Thin Air is the book I was looking for (and failed to find) when I stumbled upon my copy of The Last Unicorn on VHS. I've been dying to re-read it. Excellent book!

    I recently finished The Journal of Best Practices. It's a memoir by a man with Asperger's, diagnosed later in life. He talks about learning to deal with his quirks while trying to be a better husband. So well written!*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the list! Eating Animals sounds interesting, as it's something I enjoy doing. Vegetarianism also interests me... I might give it a search :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting list. Thieves of Manhattan sounds great. Eating Animals is also on my list as I'm working towards vegetarianism. Here's my list:
    http://annabelsmith.tumblr.com/post/38192220270/best-books-2012p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I haven't read any of these books but The Hottest Dishes of Tartar Cuisine sounds very interesting, am definitely going to have to check it out!

    Here's my top 10 (actually, 20) books of 2012 xP

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your "short list" idea; I'm already wondering if any of my future books will push some off. :) I read Fun Home a few years ago and really enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for reminding me how truly lowbrow my reading tastes are! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. But I am not a Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey fan, so that's got to count for something, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Read what makes you happy. Unless it's one of those... Or Dan Brown. Ugh.

      Delete
  10. My favorite reads this year: Tell the Wolves I'm Home, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years Donald Miller, An Altar in the World Barbara Brown Taylor, and Gone Girl and Dark Places both by Gillian Flynn. Gillian Flynn was definitely my favorite author discovery of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read any of these yet. I think I'll have to pick up Tell the Wolves I'm Home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oo, interesting list, I haven't actually read any of them yet! I'm a new follower though :D Here is my TTT

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS