Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

1. I feel that 99% of the time people should respond to a communication in the same form that it was initiated. Example: if I email you, email me back. Don't call me. Don't come to see me. Just email me back (unless we're friends- there are exceptions).

2. I'm totally and completely invested in Marisha Pessl's Night Film. I don't want to do anything but read, which is saying a lot. I'm obviously a reader, but I'm usually pretty good at setting limits for myself. The other day I said I'd read for a half an hour, and then two hours went by. 


 3. I taught scansion yesterday to my students. I prefaced the instruction by putting up a pictures of someone driving a nail into their skull, a group of people picking up trash on the freeway, and a person walking on hot coals. I did a fair amount of prep work, for my own benefit, so it went fine, I just hated it. Obviously I will never become a linguistics professor.

4. This week has been really rough. Tuesday was yearbook distribution day, meaning two hundred kids "lined" up outside my classroom for their book (and by "lined" I mean formed a mob). We thankfully have good security, but it was still a lot of pressure to get the kids in and out as quickly as possible. And then yesterday I had to put out more yearbook related fires than I can count. At the end of the day I remind myself that it's not that important; I didn't go through six years of higher education to care excessively about a high school yearbook. But, I like to do a good job and for things to run smoothly. I'm sure I'll quit threatening that next year will be my last in approximately eight days.

[these things are taking over my life]

5. I read an article today on CNN about the whole #prayforOklahoma controversy spearheaded by atheist Ricky Gervais yesterday and thought it was interesting. I definitely see it from his perspective- shoot out  tweet with the hashtag and all the sudden you look like some informed, sympathetic person. Yet what did you really do? Did you actually even take the time away from your computer or phone to shoot up a prayer? On the other hand, I'm sure there are a lot of people that really had the best intention and some that even donated to the Red Cross. Here I am, caught in the middle like the perfect little agnostic that I am...

6. I keep putting off chores until school gets out and saying "I can't wait until I have time to really clean." Please. Like I'm going to be chomping at the bit the day school gets out to scrub my floors and clean light fixtures. As if.

7. I hate it when people insinuate that you can't be unhappy because there are people who are less fortunate than you. What, I can't be upset because there's someone who's just lost their spouse to cancer or are wandering the favelas of Rio? There's always going to be someone in a worse position, but that doesn't take away the fact that I (or you) can't be sad or angry or in need.

8. I have to both read, and see, The Great Gatsby this weekend so that I can write up mini extra credit quizzes for my students on Tuesday. I'm happy to do one, but not the other. Guesses as to which is the one that is super sucky?

9. If it wasn't bad enough that I started a BirchBox membership, I joined Ipsy so that I can get a Glam Bag too! What is wrong with me? $20 a month or high end beauty product samples? The packaging is just so cute, and the products are so great. I'm such a sucker for getting good mail.

10. I'm officially obsessed with making popsicles. I bought cheapie molds last weekend and made Blackberry Raspberry Strawberry Mint ones that turned our delicious. This week I'll be delving into Cookies 'n Cream territory.

2 comments:

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS