Top Ten Tuesday- Spring TBR



Last time I had did one of these posts, for my winter TBR, I looked back at fall to see what I had, and had not, accomplished. I was pretty impressed with myself for reading ZERO of the ten I had prophesied. I did a bit better the last few months, finishing five of the ten (I read a lot more than that, I just have a hard time sticking to what I'll say I'll read). Brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish, here's what I'm "planning" on reading this spring:


1. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (a reread)- this is for work, and it's the last novel my IB seniors will read in high school. Sorry, guys.

2. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (a reread)- this is also for work, and it's the first novel my AP Language students are reading this year. It'll serve as a way to teach humor and irony, and then as a bridge to the more literature-based IB program that they'll start junior year.

3. The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp- I really thought I'd be way into reading pregnancy and baby books, but I'm not. I've had this one for awhile and even took it to Houston with me but haven't cracked it once. It's supposed to be really good...  If all else fails I'll just do what my mom used to do with the car when it made loud noises- turn up the radio!

4. Why We Write by Meredith Maran- I haven't read a reading/writing book in awhile and it'll be perfect (ha) timing to get inspired before the baby comes and I can barely string together a few coherent sentences. 

5. Joseph Anton by Salman Rushdie- I'm hoping to knock this one out during spring break in two weeks. It's a bit of a beast at over 600 pages, but I really want to hear about his fatwa. 

6. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith- I've never read it and feel like I should!

7. Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese- I've had this book for quite some time and while it sounds incredibly interesting I always hesitate because I know it's long and dense. Now's the time!

8. Walden on Wheels by Ken Ilgunas- Some motivation to work on paying down my student loans (it's about a man who travels around the country in his van so he can cut costs and pay his down).

9. Talk Talk by TC Boyle- I have three(!) unread Boyle books on my shelf, despite the fact I'd probably list him in my top five favorite authors.

10. Sous Chef by Michael Gibney- Let's be honest- I'm going to buy it. 

Listening-wise, I plan on finishing up A House in the Sky by Amanda Lindhout (memoir of Canadian journalist who is kidnapped in Somalia), possibly trying out The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (I don't read YA at all, but I feel like this one might be okay to listen to, and I'd like to know for sure that I don't like it... or do), and maybe something I read a long time ago and is a bit fuzzy (like The Confederacy of Dunces).

Shameless Plug!

I host Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts on Wednesday night/Thursdays- an opportunity for bloggers to link up, sharing ten random thoughts bookish or otherwise. The participating group has been growing (nowhere near TTT, but still, it's fun) and it's been incredibly interesting to see some of the more personal sides of bloggers come out. Join us! 

9 comments:

  1. I'd love to read Why We Write one of these days, it sounds great :) I've also heard good things about Cutting for Stone, hope you enjoy it! (have yet to read it myself)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when I see a book on a list that I immediately dash off to add to my wishlist. Such is Walden on Wheels. Thank you!

    Here's my Spring 2014 TBR List!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved WHY WE WRITE. I thought it was a really interesting and varied look at people who've succeeded in the writing business.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so often made these lists and then ended up reading zero books... Maybe a season is just too short for me, or I'm just bad at sticking to what I say I'm going to read, too lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have so often written up these lists and then read zero books on them... Maybe a single season is just too short a window for me, or I'm just bad at sticking to what I say I'm going to read, too lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scarlet Letter, not one of my faves. It just makes me feel so dreary. Do they at least get to watch the movie afterward?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you love love love Joseph Anton and Brooklyn!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is on my to read at some point list since I've never read it! I also want to reread Huckleberry Finn since I think I'll enjoy it more as an adult. I read The Happiest Baby on the Block but I can't remember it in all the post-baby fog! Hope you get some use out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started The Scarlet Letter years ago, but I never finished it. I should give it another go.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS