Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Authors I'd Die to Meet (and Invite to a Dinner Party)


So I'm starting to get into these writing memes that are popping up- it's a great way to find new literary blogs, not to mention a nice break from thinking up my own topics. I know technically it's not Tuesday yet, but we'll round up.

This Top Ten Tuesday comes from The Broke and the Bookish and asks us to narrow it down to ten authors we'd like to meet. I'm thinking one big literary dinner party/potluck. My picks:

1. Hunter S. Thompson- The man was all kinds of crazy! He'd probably bring the booze.

2. Fyodor Dostoyevski- This Russian genius is the author of my all-time favorite novel, Crime and Punishment. Will put him in charge of the drinks with Thompson- I'm sure he could get his hands on some great vodka.

3. Isabel Allende- I've been a fan of Allende since high school, when we read House of the Spirits. I attended one of her readings last year and she was hilarious and feisty. Homemade empanadas, por favor!

4. Christopher McDougall- While not a novelist, McDougall wrote my favorite running book, Born to Run, about ultra-marathoners. I'd love to pick his brain and pick up some pointers. The man is addicted to some sort of seeds (forget what kind- chia?)- perhaps he could grind some up into bread or muffins.

5. Salman Rushdie- Every dinner proper dinner party needs some political controversy- Rushdie would have that covered, as he has faced exile, arrest, and plenty of backlash. I must admit, I'm not big on Indian food, but I suppose I'd be willing to try a good curry (just not too spicy).

6. Jonathan Safran Foer- Oh, Jonathan. Please tell me how you did it. So young, so smart, so successful. Tell me your secrets and I'll read Eating Animals and give up meat. Obviously he's bringing the salad.

7. John Irving- John Irving novels are the gourmet comfort food of literature- like macaroni and cheese with truffle oil (which is what he'd bring). My favorite is probably The World According to Garp, and no matter how long his new books get I'll always give them a try eventually.

8. TC Boyle- Author of one of my favorites, Tortilla Curtain, I would love to have a few minutes face to face with this man. I also saw him read, and he is so incredibly smart and quirky. He'd probably show up with something random like a box of cornflakes or a can of garbanzo beans (his outfit would be the best- when I saw him speak he had on a while suit, black shirt, and a some sort of hat).

9. Zadie Smith- This lady is going to be around for a long time. She's opinionated, talented, and articulate. At times she gets crap for being a little too condescending, but we all have out flaws. Read On Beauty and you'll forgive her. She seems like a classy lady- maybe a bouquet of lilies for the hostess?

10. Paolo Giordano- The author of The Solitude of Prime Numbers is not only smart, but Italian and easy on the eyes. It's only fitting he bring the dessert- cannoli, of course.

My prediction: Thompson and Dostoyevsky would get drunk, Smith and Rushdie would end up in a fist fight, and Allende would try to seduce Foer. Good times.

Who would you like to meet?

10 comments:

  1. Some good ones here , Im a new Follower
    http://thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com/2011/07/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-authors-id-love.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I forget Hunter S. Thompson? There's just so many authors I'd love to meet and chat with that it was hard to pick just ten. Technically, I picked 12.

    I just bought The Solitude of Prime Numbers last week. I'm excited to read it!

    Great list!

    Here’s My Top Ten Tuesday This Week
    New Follower

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on John Irving. I always give his books a "try" although sometimes I can't make it through. Garp Is Wonderful!! I want to meet Jenny Fields!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also met Isabelle Allende - Love her and her books! My favorite is Eva Luna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to come to a party at your house when Thompson, Dostoyevski, and Rushdie all show up with their booze and controversy! Oh, to party with authors . . . lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to come and make cake for this little shindig you have here. I need to be schooled in this thing you call "reading".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there:0) Thanks for stopping by my bloggy "Cover to Cover"! I think we'll have to be friends - because we think the same! So now I'm following ya!

    Have you heard of the book/cookbook, Table of Contents? Authors and their recipes and thoughts...very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your list, and the ensuing dinner party, is amazing!! John Irving! Didn't think of it and Garp is my favorite too. Eating Animals is on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First off: LOVE your tag line, Christine, and I enjoyed your little dinner party conceit too.
    We share a fondness for Rushdie and Allende and Boyle and Dostoyevski and Foer. Although I don't always favor Irving, I applaud your brilliant little metaphor there (so clever and appropriate), and The Cider House Rules is one of my all-time favorite books. And Thompson would indeed be a reliably disrupting force, ensuring a wild ride.
    So glad that I found your blog today: Off to find out more about this handsome Paolo Giordano and his cannoli(s).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found your blog today for the first time. I love the author recommendations here - only the best for a dinner invite! I love Allende too, but I'm going to have to check out some of these others!

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS