What I'll Be (Maybe) Reading this Summer



I've told you fine folks what to read. I've told my students what to read. Now it's time to assign myself some books, I suppose. 

I generally just read whatever I want, taking a quick break from this laissez-faire sort of approach when it's time for book club or when I have to teach something. I might read something the day after it comes in the mail, or I might go for something that's been on my shelf for five years. Ya just never know. So while I can't guarantee anything, here are some books that I am feeling pretty confident that I'll get to in the next seven weeks:

Florida by Lauren Groff- She's basically reached the "can do no wrong" status in my world.

Neverworld Wake by Marisha Pessl- I read maybe one YA book a year, and this will probably be the one. I love Pessl and was honestly disappointed to hear she was going down this route, but maybe I'll change my mind. 

So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo- I have heard great things about this and I'm always open to learning more outside my white middle-class bubble.

The Empathy Exams by Leslie Jamison- I just finished listening to her memoir Addiction, so I'm interested to see what these essays are about.

The Last Equation of Isaac Severy by Nove Jacobs- This one totally sucked me in by the blurb that it was a "novel in clues." 

The Overstory by Richard Powers- It's a long book about trees, so I'm thinking summer is the time. 

The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben- Since I'll be reading about trees with Powers, might as well keep a good thing going

The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolizer- This is another lengthy one that I've been saving since it came out for summer.

Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward- Finally, right?

Swing Time by Zaide Smith- From what I've heard this is the perfect summertime by the pool Smith novel.

Love in the Time of Techno by Anthony Mara- I keep putting off, which is ridiculous, since I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about it. 

Something by TC Boyle- I have an embarrassing amount of unread Boyle on my shelves. 




2 comments:

  1. Salvage the Bones is on my summer stack too! It was a Diverse Books Clun pick during the year that I missed, so hoping to play catch-up during the summer :)

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS