Link up, link back. Also, how the hell is it already Wednesday, again? Why is summer break flying by? Why does it feel like I'm getting nothing accomplished?
1. I got my phone upgraded last week and now have four times the space, so I had no excuse for not re-downloading the app I use for counting calories. I'd like to lose 5-10 lbs and counting calories has been the only way I've ever been able to successfully lose weight, unless you count pushing a human out of me (and we're not going there). I've mentioned before that I'm driven by numbers, so between my Fitbit and this, I really am disturbingly happy punching in stats into my phone periodically throughout the day. On the other hand, it's sort of sad wake-up call.
2. Last Friday my husband had the day off for the holiday weekend, so we dropped the kid off at daycare for a few hours and went to a movie and lunch. We saw Inside Out, the newest Pixar movie, and it was really good. I imagine it would be a really great opportunity to talk to your kids about some pretty deep, emotional stuff. And now I have a new way of rationalizing my crazy side.
3. I made these and they're delicious (I multiplied the dough part by 1.5 to get a thicker cookie base, though, and added a lot more of the topping):
4. I just started a review copy I received of Celeste Ng's Everything I Never Told You and while it's very good, it's a serious downer. Now that I am a parent I read things about losing children, no matter how old they are, differently. Prior to having Sawyer I was still sympathetic, but now when I read about parents dealing with horrible things happening to their kids I have to really work hard to not let my mind go to dark places, which is something I have trouble with sometimes anyway. Nonetheless, I'm thirty pages in and I can see why people were so complimentary.
5. I ate prosciutto the other night, which was kind of a big deal for me because I typically don't eat pork. But I wanted to make these cute little skewers and decided to just roll with it. After a bite or two I was over it and I've totally met my pork intake for the next year. I'm a sucker for appetizers for dinner:
6. This came in the mail for me last week....
7. We have been racking up miles and miles this summer on walks. We go every single morning and sometimes I go again with the dogs after Sawyer is in bed. It's hard to stay inside when we're having such amazing weather... for now. Any day now our 80 degree highs are going to be swapped out with 105.
8. I think I finished my little hallway gallery wall... or did I? When I started this a looooong time ago I envisioned shelves overflowing with black framed prints in a variety of sizes and colors. Maybe I'll take another year, or three, to decide.
9. It's the little things: balsamic glaze at Trader Joes. I typically make my own reduction, which is fine, but if you aren't careful it can be easy to burn. Problem solved.
10. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: obligation ruins things for me. If you want to make me rebel or drag my feet just simply that I "have to" do something, or imply the same thing. Even if it's not a big deal, it's just how I am.