1. So, last week my kid smacked his head pretty hard on the floor, and this week he managed to pop his elbow out of the socket and need it popped back in, along with precautionary x-rays. We have no clue how he did it, although I guess it's a common injury (the laymen's term is "Nursemaid's Elbow" and it can be reoccurring... great). Maybe when he figured out how to open doors and fell? When I was helping him walk up the stairs? When he was trying to sweep? We have no clue. All I know that is you haven't lived until you've had to hold down a hysterical toddler for arm X-rays. Luckily it seems like he's good-to-go today (thank goodness; he wasn't mending as quickly as the doctor wanted and he mentioned sending him to neuro... boo).
2. People rave about Liane Moriarty, but she seems like chic-lit to me. So, I've decided I'd be fair and give her a chance, since some people I respect dig her. I'm going to listen to one of her audiobooks, though, since I have an available credit on Audible. Recommendations?
3. I downloaded Mariah Carey's recent greatest hits album and it's pretty magnificent. Yes, I agree that she seems like a huge bitch, but man, "Dreamlover" just takes me baaaaaaaack.
4. Do you remember the reading logs that teachers would ask of you back in elementary and junior high school? Don't get me started on how stupid they are (I never used them when I taught the younger kids- between the students and parents I'm pretty sure most were fabricated), but I've decided to keep one for myself for a week. I only have a few days left and then I'll share my super-interesting, scientific findings. No, my mom isn't going to sign off and apparently no one is going to let me pick something from the treasure chest if it's completed on time.
5. I'm slightly addicted to planks. It's my goal to be able to hold one for two minutes straight by the end of the summer and I'm currently up to a minute and twenty seconds. I have no clue what most people can do, but I've never been one to care much about upper body strength, so I'm pretty proud. I love that you can just bust one out pretty much anywhere, any time.
6. Our July weather is Southern California has been crazy- I rarely have used the air conditioner and last weekend we got somewhere around two inches of rain, which is a lot for us. Obviously this is great because of the drought, but it's a little concerning because flooding in our county showed that we are not equipped for storms and meteorologists have been predicting a severe El Nino this fall.
7. We went to the super tacky, overpriced, Rainforest Cafe last weekend at Downtown Disney (the area surrounding Disneyland, which is free) because we knew that Sawyer would love it and I've been trying to think of things we can do as a family that involve getting out of the damn house. It was pretty much the pinnacle of eating out for him- he saw moving animals, was allowed to color with crayons, and got his own order of food for once.
8. I'm getting my hair done Saturday and, without fail, I'm on Pinterest trying to find somehow to spice things up. I want to keep the length, so I feel limited (bangs are 100% not an option). And in terms of color, I want something different... but I don't. I just don't know.
9. There are two great things about surrendering the Tupperware cupboards to the kid: it keeps him busy FOREVER and I don't have to feel guilty about not attempting to keep them organized. There is absolutely no point.
10. I'm reading Still Alice and it's scaring the crap out of me. I'll write more later, but Alzheimer's/dementia is a current issue in our family and I'd really prefer not to lose my memory later in life, thanks.