Top Ten of 2018 (and a Few Stats)



I'm not going to do it. I'm not going to say that this year went by "ohmygod so fast" and that "wasn't it just January?" Nope. 

But seriously. Didn't it? Wasn't it? 

This year has been one the busiest ever- this was the first year since Sawyer was born that I really felt like I traveled, we did tons of local activities, I had my hands full at work, and I kept up with exercise. And, miraculously, I met my Goodreads challenge goal of reading 71 books. 

Before I list my favorite of the year, here are a few fun bookish stats:
- 71 books read
- 18,689 pages (51ish pages/day)
- 48 fiction, 23 nonfiction
- 43 female writers, 28 male writers 
- 4 graphic novels


Narrowing my list down to ten, which is unnecessary and a rule I enforce upon myself for some unknown reason, was incredibly difficult this year. I read so many great books, which is not a bad problem to have. So, in no particular order, my favorites of 2018:


Becoming by Michelle Obama


Educated by Tara Westover 


There There by Tommy Orange


The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti


Calypso by David Sedaris


The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin


Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi


An American Marriage by Tayari Jones


Friday Black by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenhaj


The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer

A few runners up:

The Mars Room by Rachel Kushner

The Incendiaries by RO Kwon

The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

Speak No Evil by Uzodinma Iweala 

Let Your Mind Run by Deena Kastor

The Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Marra

What did you read? What did you love? What are you reading next year? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS