Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts



I am totally making this Lasagna Bolognese recipe this Sunday- it looks perfect (minus the mushrooms), and I’m not even a huge lasagna person.

I recently found out that Spider Man doesn’t organically make his own webs and I feel very mislead. Why is it not one of his biological adaptations? Wouldn’t that make sense, considering his other powers? If I were him I’d feel very gipped.

I have never been a fan of either Presidents Bush, but it blows my mind how they were both a million times better than what we have now. I think that’s part of why liberals have been criticized for lamenting the passing of Bush Senior; it’s almost this romanticized notion of sorts, what the "other side" used to be like in comparison.

I just started Christina Schutt’s Pure Hollywood, a collection of short stories. I’m a bit undecided at this point- her style is a bit nuanced, but not necessarily in a way I appreciate. I do love that it’s a bit of a challenge, though, and I think it might have some passages that I can extract for my students to analyze later in the year (tax-write off, yes?). 

Sawyer named our lawn-decoration llama “cornhip” because “corn is a food and hip is a bone in your body.” I fear for his future offspring.

I have graded over 90 essays on Zora Neale Hurston’s Their Eyes Were Watching God over the past two days and I feel like my head is going to explode (and I still have more to go). I don’t normally grade that fast, but my students are doing some independent work right now and I am DETERMINED to have almost everything graded by break a week from Friday. It’s been intense, to say the least.


This weekend is jam-packed with awesome. Sawyer and I are going to the Sawdust Festival for breakfast with Santa in Laguna on Saturday, that evening he has a movie night at school so Scott and I are going to dinner, and then Sunday morning I am meeting up for brunch with a friend. I cannot wait.

4 comments:

  1. I was never a fan of the Bush presidents,, but after all this time with the current guy in the WH, I am looking upon them very differently.

    I finished Hillary's book, finally; I did love it. Here are MY BOOKISH & NOT SO BOOKISH THOUGHTS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cornhip is completely legit. Very creative, Sawyer.

    Thanks Christine! https://julzreads.com/2018/12/06/bookish-and-not-so-bookish-thoughts-37/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Lasagna Bolognese does look amazing! I might have to save that recipe for New Year’s.

    Here are my Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts: http://taylorfenner.blogspot.com/2018/12/bookish-and-not-so-bookish-thoughts-is.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha Cornhip makes me smile! Also I'm so stealing that lasagna recipe!

    Here are my Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts: http://www.hopelessbibliophile.com/2018/12/rain-rain-please-stay.html

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS