Bookish (and Not So Bookish) Thoughts

1. I'm loving the titles my students are reading for outside reading- On the Road, Jane Eyre, Fight Club, V for Vendetta, House of the Spirits, The Great Gatsby, and How to Be Good, to name a few. I have several who are reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy right now too.  I'm waiting for the girls to get on the Anna Karenina kick after the movie comes out (I have a group that are really into period pieces). 

2. Please, for the love of God and all that is sacred in this world, please stop listening to holiday music, putting up your tree, and stocking up on wrapping paper. Calm the eff down, people! Thanksgiving isn't even until Thursday. You are totally falling victim to Target and Starbuck's mission to get you to spend as much as humanly possible. 

 
3. One of my students told me that her mom wanted to know if we were going to read anything "happy" this year. Nope, sorry. Not next year either. Welcome to the real world where everything isn't all rainbows and butterflies, kids.

[Source: SubversiveCrossStitch.com; yes you can buy the kit for $12]

 4. I listened to A Prayer for Owen Meany through Audible and really enjoyed the experience. I thought the narrator was perfect and I loved the voice he did for Owen. I started Cloud Atlas about a month ago, since we were planning to see the movie (we have not) and I can't stand it. The narration is horribly dry and I just don't think it's a book that translates well audibly. 

5. I really, really love Passion Pit. It's basically impossible for me to get into my car and not listen to them


6. I think I have a girl crush on Erin Andrews. Between the World Series and the UCLA vs USC game last weekend I feel like I've been seeing her quite a bit of her lately, and her attractiveness and knowledge of sports makes her quite the catch. 

7. I've been reading (and I use the term loosely) Zadie Smith's Changing My Mind for weeks and I feel quite guilty, since I've finished two or three novels since I started it. There is a certain mood required for reading essays, and I have not been in it lately.

8. Speaking of novels, I've finished Tell the Wolves I'm Home and Vaclev and Lena these past couple of weeks and enjoyed them both. Reviews to come. Get excited. Yay.  

1 comment:

  1. I had to lol at #3. It reminds me of the Progressive commercial where Flo's all "unicorns and GLITTER"...very funny :)

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS