Nice Package

I'm not usually one for bells and whistles- I'm a simple kind of girl. But I do like books that come in unique packaging. Don't get me wrong; a quality book is a quality book, whether it's published with a simple cover or elaborately in a package. 

Part of the appeal to me is that it's a way the publishing industry is able to do something that cannot translate effectively into eReader format. It's a way to keep print alive and relevant. And there's something admirable about the whole notion of going "above and beyond;" extending the creativity graphically and physically is unnecessary but appreciated. 

Take anything by Visual Editions- I own Tree of Codes, Kapow, The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman and Composition No. 1, all four of their books. There is no way in hell you could read these on a Kindle, as the actual layout and structure of the books themselves are as critical as the words.

[Composition No. 1]

[Kapow]

[Source for all 3: Visual Editions]

Even my edition of Skippy Dies and Richard Russo's latest, Interventions, come with unique design that wouldn't be possible with an eReader. 



I've written abut Chris Ware's Building Stories before- his "graphic novel in a box." While I haven't read it yet, I have looked through it, and it's pretty damn awesome. 
[source: my own]

What can I say? I'm a girl who appreciates a nice package. 

3 comments:

  1. I've never seen books presented this way. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep trying to explain this to my very sweet father who keeps insisting that he's going to buy me an e-reader: I don't just like to read, I like books!

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS