Top Ten Tuesday- Turn Offs

I feel like this week's Top Ten Tuesday from The Broke and the Bookish is just asking for trouble- we're supposed to list the top ten things that will deter us from picking up a book. I must preface this list with:

a. I am not a YA reader
b. I may be a bit of a snob know what I like
c. I'm sure that even thought you like vampires you're still super cool
d. There are always exceptions 

Brace yourself.

1. The YA Genre- I wrote about it here in more detail, but with very exceptions, I don't read YA. for those of you ready to come at with me with pitch forks, I am definitely still considering Eleanor and Park

  
2. Paranormal/vampires/mermaids/fairies/zombies- I know a lot of these exist in YA, but they are also present in the fantasy genre, which I don't tend to gravitate towards. I love that writers have the imagination to create new worlds and new creatures, I just prefer things to stay a little more realistic (the Harry Potter series and oompa loompas are exceptions). 

3. "Based on the hit movie"- I refuse to read books that are written after the movies come out. I'm not sure if it still happens, but I remember during the nineties it was incredibly common (especially with kid books).

4. Animals stories- It's not that I don't like some of these stories, it's just that nine times out of ten THE FUCKING ANIMAL DIES. And then I cry. 

5. Mass market sizes- There are a million (especially older) exceptions, but I am always very suspicious of a book that is published as a mass market paperback.

6. The author's name in jumbo print- My point:



7. Romance novels- I'm talking bodice rippers, folks.



8. "x Ways to ________"- I'm skeptical of books that tell me how I'm going to change my whole life in five simple ways. 

9. Cookbooks without pictures- I'm not really a visual learner, but I need pictures.

10. "New York Times Bestseller"- This is definitely a red flag, but is not the end all be all. I've read some great books of the list, but let's face it- there's a ton of shit on there too.

 What are your turn offs? Anyone want to try to prove I'm wrong?

14 comments:

  1. I don't know why I started chuckling when I saw your graphic for #1 =P

    I agree about #10, I do sort of take that line with a grain of salt these days. Like you said, great books end up on that list...and then there's those other books O_o

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I will stay clear of romance books with cheesy covers. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every single one of these. That is all.

    (I can handle some vampires, like Dracula. And there is always an exception to everything, though I don't know that Eleanor & Park is it).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have YA on my list as well and I read your post about why it is on your, some good points made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I agree with most of these. I'm still alright with YA, but I'm finding that they annoy me more and more these days, so I'm reading a lot more non-YA than I used to.
    Definitely agree with cookbooks without pictures - hallo, whoever thought THAT would work?
    I sometimes find that books with the author's name in jumbo print often happen because the author has written waaaay too many books with the same formula. Jodi Picoult is one too.
    Ah, anyway. It's okay not to like YA. But if you read Eleanor & Park I'd love to hear your thoughts.It is more genuine than John Green books, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm gonna have to agree with all of these. Romance novels are my kryptonite. I hate them with a deep searing hatred.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list, great preface. And what is up with cookbooks with NO pictures?? good call

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also need pictures in my cookbooks! Just saying the words don't make them true - I need proof that the recipe I'm following can actually turn out the way my imagination thinks it can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cookbooks without pictures is a definite no for me. I'm paranoid when I'm following directions, but for there to be no pictures so I can be 100% sure I'm doing everything right will kill me.
    Great list! (:

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never even thought about cookbooks! I totally agree if I can't see what I'm about to make. Nope! Even if to laugh at how mine looks nothing like how its supposed too!

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heh, well I'm big on YA, but I can totally respect that it's not everyone's thing. Heck, a ton of YA most definitely is not my thing either - especially the paranormal fiction YA that you mention. You make really interesting points about mass market paperbacks and huge author names on covers. I had never considered it before, but not that you've pointed it out, those things are definitely turn offs for me, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and thank you for the advice on choosing non-fiction books that I would like!

      Delete
  12. YA is my not-so-guilty pleasure. In fact, I've fallen far down the John Green rabbit hole recently. I'm taking a break from it now for some variety and reading "Assassination Vacation" by Sarah Vowell. I'm not far into it, but I'm already loving it.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS