September Reviews

September was a little lackluster in the reading department, since I was/am still getting back into the swing of the school year. Speaking of which, I have a ton to do, so let's make this snappy.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye by Rachel Joyce
384 pages
I probably enjoyed this book the most, this month. Harold Frye is a newly retired Englishman who learns that an old colleague is dying of cancer. Unsatisfied and bored with his current life, he decides to walk across England to visit her, leaving his wife, home, and the haunting memories of his son. Along the way he meets a variety of people and must learn to handle the fame that comes along with his pilgrimage. It's a coming-of-age story geriatric style.

Verdict: Yes! It was a fun read with decent writing and character development.

Macbeth by William Shakespeare
152 pages
I'll spare everyone the details, since I'm sure most of you have read it. I read it in high school (and college?) and actually really enjoyed teaching it. The students had some great discussions and it was interesting to watch their opinions change as we moved through the play. 

Verdict: It's required reading, folks.

Necessary Errors by Caleb Crain
480 pages
I wrote a post on this novel already and really don't care to revisit it...

Verdict: Pass! 

2 comments:

  1. I've been avoid MacBeth ever since I started getting back into Shakespeare, was it interesting?

    Harold Fry sounds like a book I would cry too, sentimental without being cheesy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished Rachel Joyce's second book, Perfect - very different, unusual story with some excellent characters.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS