Top Ten Tuesday- New Friends

[Recycled picture alert: sorry/it was too easy]

Not buying books is like trying to put certain foods (here's looking at you, everything with sugar and fat) on the do-not-eat list: it works okay for a little while, but then all the sudden, you really want a huge bowl of ice cream. Or box of books. Whatever. So, I buy books when I want and I find that in the end I purchase the same amount as I would with the restriction-binge cycle that I've committed to before. So yes, my recent acquisitions are very recent (like within the last month). Whatever. As requested by The Broke and the Bookish, here are the last ten books I bought (two of which were ordered, but I have been charged, if we want to get all technical):

1. Got Set a Watchman by Harper Lee- No explanation necessary. Arriving tomorrow.

2. The Happiest Toddler on the Block by Harvey Karp- Also arriving tomorrow. Sawyer is fourteen months now and I'm hoping this book teacher me how to squash his blossoming opinions (just kidding, it's more a proactive thing, and Karp's book about babies was the only one I used).

3. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee- I'm rereading it right now. When I went to the shelf to grab my copy I realized that I didn't actually own my own, that I just used the school's when I taught it, and my husband's was missing.

4. My First Farm by Dawn Sirett- No, I'm not working on my ag credential. The tiny human has a thing for animals right now.

5. In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume- I saw her speak a few years ago and she was working on this, so I felt obligated. Plus, it's Judy!

6. Are You there God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume- Confession: I've never read it.

7. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doer- August book club selection! I'll start reading it in a few weeks.

8. Still Alice by Lisa Genova- My grandmother suffers from dementia/Alzheimer's, so I definitely gravitated towards this one.

9. The Martian by Andy Weir- I was steering clear, since I'm not a sci-fi person, but between the kick-ass movie trailer and everyone else's positive reviews I figured I'd pick it up.

10. Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan- Someone compared this to Where'd You Go Bernadette, so I was instantly interested. I have a feeling it's pretty fluffy, which will make it a good book to read during the day when I try to sneak in a few pages. Or by the pool.

10 comments:

  1. I am excited about Go Set A Watchman. Nervous about it too though! I hope you enjoy these books. My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many good books. I am waiting for my copy at the library for To Kill a Mockingbird to re-read before Go Set a Watchman. I really loved Still Alice. Te Martian and All the Light We Cannot See are on my TBR that I would like to get to sooner rather than later. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to check out Crazy Rich Asian, looks like a nice guilty pleasure and escapist read! I still can't find a copy of Go Set a Watchman at my local stores, I need to go into the city for it.
    The Martian is VERY science heavy, but at least it's also funny.Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard so many good things about All The Light We Cannot See, and it has been on a few lists this week so its obviously a worthy pick up. I must hurry up and get it. Happy readings :)

    My TTT http://wp.me/p3ftwe-HX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you enjoy Crazy Rich Asians and All the Light We Cannot See! Meanwhile, I still have to check out The Martian...and To Kill a Mockingbird :3 Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good list! I like the variety. I keep meaning to reread To Kill a Mockingbird in anticipation of Go Set a Watchman, but this year has not shaped up, reading-wise, the way I had anticipated. I'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you enjoy the new Harper Lee book! I read the first one in high school and didn't really enjoy it, but maybe that was just because they forced me to read it? Maybe I'll give it another try!

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ordered GSAW too! Still waiting for it to arrive though. It's the first time I've ever pre-ordered anything. CAN'T WAIT.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to read The Martian so bad! I saw the movie trailer and Now I'm super excited for it.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list! I enjoyed several of the books on your list. I, too, am due for a re-read of To Kill a Mockingbird, so I'll have to pick it up some time soon.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS