Top Ten Tuesday- Thankful



This week's Top Ten Tuesday is a freebie related to Thanksgiving, so I'll just stick to some bookish things I am grateful for:

1. Escapism: Sometimes life really sucks and it's nice to have something to escape into. Sometimes life is really awesome and it's still nice to have something to escape into.

2. A shared language: I love discussing books with people- my husband, my colleagues, my students, my friends. 

3. Buying them: There is always, always a thrill that comes with purchasing new books, whether they arrive on my doorstep or I pick them up at the store. It doesn't even matter that I won't get to them, most likely, for months.

4. Learning: You can of course learn a great deal about humanity and culture from from fiction, but I also love the educational power of a well-read non-fiction text.

5. Travel and exploration: Books let you try out new destinations and hobbies before committing. 

6. Reading with my son: I love that Sawyer loves books and we read every single day at least once. It has helped develop his vocabulary and has already been a vehicle for teaching him important things.

7. Cognitive benefits: Countless studies have shown that reading helps your brain stay active and sharp for years to come.

8. Readings: While I don't get to attend nearly enough anymore, I love attending author events. Hearing the rationale behind the writing process and seeing the people behind the books is the best.

9. A Career: There are days my job drives me crazy, but my love of reading was one of the primary reasons that I became a teacher. Sure, I made a pit stop teaching elementary first, but I always knew I'd be a high school English teacher. And here I am.

10. Lessons in empathy: Readers are generally more empathetic people; reading allows us a glance into the psyche of others that are different than us, allowing empathy to be developed. 

7 comments:

  1. I really like the way you framed your list - the bookish things you are thankful for. We have many of these in common - how old is your son? (Love the name, btw!) Reading with my daughter is one of my greatest joys and I am so glad she loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list! The love of books really is a shared language. Us bookworms are drawn together.

    Here's my TTT post
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesss I particularly love #10! I think bookworms tend to be more open-minded and willing to see multiple sides to a situation and care about things deeper. IT'S WONDERFUL. WE ARE WONDERFUL CREATURES! I love books so much omg. Here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post and yes yes yes...agree with everything here!! I need more ppl in my life to talk books with...desperately. And I wish more readings came to my area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful list :) Reading books is a really amazing thing that teaches us so much! Everyone should read books!! :)

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you seen that book exchange that's going around? #savetheculture It's like an old school chain letter, except it's all done via Facebook so it eliminates the need to send out paper letters. Anyway, it's pretty cool because people are following through! I sent off my one favourite book to someone, and I've already received 3 in return! There's nothing better than receiving books in the mail, in my opinion. Let me know if you want to play :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are so many amazing opportunities to have just while reading books! People say reading is boring, but I don't get how they could think that,, with all of these things in mind. I think my favorite part of reading has to be escapism though and leaving the chaotic world around me to an even more chaotic but fascinating fictional one. And #10, for sure! After reading Something in Between, it showed me what it is actually like for an undocumented immigrant and they aren't bad people. Books are so eye opening and have really helped me to view the world as what it is like for others.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS