Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts


 

1. Still in shock that LA Unified is mandating vaccines- obviously we know I am pro-vax, but I am a little surprised that they're making such a bold move, given their size. I love that they had a closed-door session yesterday that had one agenda item- impending litigation (or something like that). They know it's coming and they give zero effs! It will be interesting to see if other districts follow.

2. Things have been going relatively smoothly this week and I've been really trying to adjust my thinking from "when is something bad going to happen?" to "let's just enjoy this." I've also been really thinking ahead to the next few months and have made a list of all the things I want to do, safely, and it just makes me happy. 

3. I'm reading Nightbitch still and am  loving connecting it to Kafka's Metamorphosis. I'm reading Kafka on the Shore by Murakami, coincidentally, which I find amusing ("tell us you're an English teacher without telling us you're an English teacher"). 

4. This weekend is shaping up to be pretty great- Saturday morning I plan on going up into the mountains and doing a little morning hike with Sawyer and then Sunday I have plans to walk with a friend in the morning and then we are meeting up with Sawyer's friend's family outside for some ice cream. Friends, outdoors, and food- right up my alley. 

5. Everyone is telling me to watch The Chair, and I promise, I want to, and I will. Not sure if it will be this calendar year, but eventually I'll get there. 

6. There's a new illustrated Jim Kay Harry Potter book coming out this month that looks at "366 moments" at Hogwarts (or something like that). We'll see if I can keep it for Sawyer for Christmas or if I let him have it early. It looks like so much fun! We're reading the fourth book verrrrrrry slowly, which is actually sort of nice, since we get a little Potter every day. 

7. I haven't done any writing, really, outside of the blog and my journal, in a long time, but I'm thinking of entering a flash fiction contest next month. It's only $30 bucks or so, and I love the premise of having to be concise and fast. I did one several years ago and was picked to go to the next round but got super, super sick and couldn't complete my entry! I need a second chance!

8. I told myself I'd order a Milk Bar cake for my birthday this year, but that I said maybe I could get it at the end of October after making through the world's longest teaching month... now I'm like "end of the first grading period?" (next week). I made the version in her cook book and it's really good, but they are a TON of work. We'll see how long I last. 

9. I resisted Olaplex for a looooooong time, but I finally bought and used Number 8 and after one use I might have to cave in and get more products. It's just so good. Gah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS