Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

Remember to leave your own link back at the end!

1. This is so true- 

[source]

2. Last weekend a friend and I went to True Food Kitchen, a restaurant that serves the healthiest food I've ever had at a "chain" (it doesn't look or feel like one, though). I've been to the one in Phoenix before but have been meaning to go to the one in Orange County. Everything is fresh, as local as possible, and delicious. And then we went to Sprinkles for cupcakes. Oops. 

[source]

3. I was listening to an Alton Brown podcast and they started talking about the idea of your "third place," which is a place other than work or home that you feel most comfortable at, or go most frequently. My third place changes, I think, depending on the time of year and what's going on in life. Over the summer it was definitely the Yoga Den where I work out at- I was there three, four days a week. Now, I'm not sure. Maybe this is a wake-up call to get my butt to the studio more often...

4. Eleanor Catton won The Booker Prize for The Luminaries this week at the age of 28! That's incredible! Her book seems really fascinating, but I have to admit to being a little hesitant because of the 800+ pages. I mean look at how long it took me to read Underworld...



5. I'm always so amused and befuddled when I'm placed in positions of leadership at work, most recently as the co-lead of a group of teachers at our site that are doing something really boring that wouldn't make sense to most people  reviewing current practices at our school. I'm horrible in meetings- I have a very hard time focusing and not talking to my friends! I hate talking in front of people! I just don't get it. I guess I'm flattered or have caught on that they realize I don't say no, at work, very well.

6. I just bought the new Bridget Jones book and have started rereading the first one. What the hell. They're fast and I'm seeing her in two weeks, so it'll be a nice refresher. 

7. I wish Modcloth had a store that I could actually physically go to and shop at.

8. I have an ambitious plan for pumpkin carving this year. If all else fails I'm going to go with this one:

[nothing says "trick-or-treat at my house" more than a stripper pumpkin; source]
9. I am temporarily a Cardinals fan. Anything to knock the Dodgers out...

10. While this isn't going to happen for a very, very long time, I really want to go on an Orangutan International Eco Tour in Borneo. It's not exactly cheap, but a seven day trip hanging out with monkeys? Sold. I wonder what shots I need... 

[source]

10 comments:

  1. I now want to go back to Borneo and do an orang program! I jsut went there to travel and it was pretty amazing. As for shots, you need to get TB and they suggest malaria pills! And I also wish Modcloth was an actual store, the shipping costs kill me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to reading Catton's novel--just need to find the time xD

    Ooh, I've been meaning to re-read the Bridget Jones books. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the third book (still on the fence about picking it up or not)

    I...have no words about that pumpkin =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing The Luminaries win has given me the kick in the pants I needed to finally read my ARC. I'm so glad I have it on kindle because if I had to read that in physical form it would never get done. So daunting.
    That is the cutest freaking monkey. Aw.
    Bonnie @ For the Love of Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catton's novel was the only that interested me on the short list, I'm glad to see it win. That being said, I don't see myself devoting that much time to any single book in the near future (too many things going on at the moment). And admittedly, I am not a lady by any stretch of the word, I do like my door opened though (which happens more often than not actually, so no complaints).

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pumpkin is hysterical! Great list

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Orangutan is so adorable! I think a trip like that would certainly be worthwhile, and totally memorable :)

    Modcloth totally needs a physical store, it would make picking things out so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3. My third place is probably Target. Or maybe Half Price Books

    7. Oh, Modcloth. You're like crack/cocaine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 4. Agree. Want to read it but not sure when. I may just block out my summer for this book.

    6. So many people bagging the new Bridget Jones - I just want to scream "Relax people! It's chick-lit! Don't over-think it! The characters aren't real!" Personally, I laughed out loud and cried in a few bits - what more can you ask?!

    8. Speaking of laughing out loud...

    10. Friend did the Borneo trip - said it was AMAZING (but not a very expensive trip from Australia).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, that stripper pumpkin? Yikes!

    Although the monkey is sooooooooo cute! But before you go on any sort of monkey trip do NOT read The Hot Zone. I promise you, you'll want to stay away from monkeys after that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very intrigued by The Luminaries as well, but definitely intimidated by the page count since I am reading so slow these days...

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS