Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

Add your link below! A huge thanks to those that have participated, helped spread the word, and coerced others into playing along.

1. I listened to the Daniel Radcliffe Nerdist podcast this week and couldn't believe how damn likeable he is. I had heard he was a nice guy, but he's so funny and down-to-earth. If you're a fan download it and listen.

2. I saw a picture of Reese Witherspoon as Cheryl Strayed last weekend and still can't decide how I feel about this. I have a love-hate relationship with the book and thought she was a bit full of herself when I saw her at a reading, but I do like Witherspoon. I just can't decide.

[source]

3. Tonight is parent-teacher conferences- yet another thing I have a love-hate relationship with. I hate sitting in the gym behind a table with people lined up in front of me for three hours. And I'm usually across from the windows where the sun is setting, so I have to squint half the night. But I do love the opportunity to communicate with parents (there are translators available too, which makes things easy), especially those that I've known for a few years. Plus there are a few that I've known since their kid was in fifth grade from when I taught elementary school- those are fun. The best part, by far, is the fact that we get to leave work at 11:45 on Friday to make up our time.

[sometimes good, sometimes not so much]

4. Finally done with Catch-22 in time for book club this afternoon! Thoughts to come.

5. I won this awesome teapot (and an adorable notebook) from Julie at Julz Reads:



6. The past few days at work have been crazy. I had a student collapse in my class, resulting in a visit from the paramedics (I was proud of myself for staying calm and remembering what to do, but still scary). Thankfully she was back today and is going to be fine! I had nine students make it to the next round for a prestigious scholarship they applied to. I have no idea if any of them will get it, but, personally, I feel like the 12+ hours I spent writing letters of rec and helping them with their essays was worth it now. And then I also found out that I get to go on a work trip to Seattle this spring for training. And the week isn't even over.

[source]

7. I'm pretty much caught up with my grading- a monumental occurrence. I am NEVER ASSIGNING WORK AGAIN!

8. My brother and his girlfriend are coming over to carve pumpkins on Saturday. It's supposed to be 90 degrees out. There's something so, so, so wrong with this.

9. I'm so angry that Kanye proposed to Kim at AT&T park in San Francisco, where my Giants play. Gross. By the way, do people actually truly like them? I get hate watching and all, but are there true, legitimate fans?

10. This article on Jezebel cracked me up. Confession: I'm a level 5 that dabbles in level 4. I'm a firm believer in keeping your bodily functions, and comments about them, to yourself. I mean there are a few exceptions, but seriously. There should be some mysteries! 

[source]

10 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to be participating in your meme. It falls in line with what I'm trying to do on my blog these days so thank you for hosting! :)

    I admire you for being an English teacher! My mom was an English teacher, and I know no one works harder than you do.

    Have fun carving pumpkins! It's always hot here. I always have to wait until the day before/day off or my pumpkin totally wilts. (Vaseline helps!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome teapot :)

    Good luck with the parent-teacher conference--I totally forgot that this was a thing in school *so long ago* Glad to hear that the student who collapsed is going to be okay! :) And congrats to your students making it to the next round for the scholarship, that's pretty awesome.

    Yay for finishing Catch-22! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA, I'm listening to the podcast now. Kind of funny!
    Love that teapot. Absolutely wonderful! I'm glad your student was okay - kudos for remaining calm :) also, congrats to your students on getting a little closer to scholarships. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you and your readers love the teapot! I have one too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a fabulous teapot! And I hope your parent-teacher conferences went well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck on the conferences! Mine were last week. I met with 24 out of 27 parents! Yay!

    I like Daniel Radcliffe too. I have seen him in interviews and he is a funny guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 6. I really want to visit Seattle someday (secret Grey's-Anatmoy-love confession there...)
    9. You best move to Australia - they hardly get any airtime here.
    10. I'm a firm 4. May have strayed into the 3 zone during post-childbirth haze (which can of course last months or even years)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought the Kanye/Kim proposal was really strange? Like I didn't get the location choice at all? Am I missing something? In other news, must find that Daniel Radcliffe podcast. I love him; he is adorable and I wish more actors/celebs were as accessible and lovely as he is! Have fun pumpkin carving. I still have not done this. I must must.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have mixed feelings on Cheryl Strayed/Wild as well. I saw her at an appearance in SF earlier this year -- she seems to have rabidly enthusiastic fans. I couldn't put the book down, but at the same time I think I was mostly gripped by how many terrible decisions someone could make and still survive a dangerous undertaking. Not sure how I feel about the movie. And the Kanye/Kim thing? I heard it cost over $6 million! I hope some of that revenue gets funneled back into the city...

    I love this meme! Will try to get on board next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. AMEN to #10. I feel like using the bathroom in front of your S.O. is probably the quickest way to say goodbye to any semblance of romance or respect in your relationship.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS