Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

Link up, link back, say hi! 

1. I got my 2015 photo book in the mail yesterday and was so pleased with how well it turned out. Worth every penny! And it was a good reminder to start this year's now, instead of waiting until next January.

[made through mixbook]

2. Almost all the soreness from last weekend's half marathon is gone, but unfortunately my normal motivation to be active hasn't quite returned yet. Between the running and Sawyer not sleeping great this week (please let this be the last tooth for awhile...) I'm really tired. I finally got the energy to walk this afternoon and maybe I'll squeeze in a little yoga or time on the trainer later tonight. Tomorrow will be spent walking around the zoo, so at least I'll get in some steps there. Speaking of the race, Matt Damon ran it! I don't really get star struck, but I think the idea of watching a celebrity hoof it around like the rest of us peons is amusing. 

3. Sawyer and I have gotten to spend some time with two of my friends and their kids this week and it's so funny to see him interact with other kids. Both friends have babies and he talks in the high-pitched voice he uses with animals to them, and makes a big deal out of being super hesitant to touch them. It's a crack up (I'm very thankful he isn't aggressive or unkind to them... you never know with toddlers).

4. Oh, NEW HAMPSHIRE. Sigh.

5. I know a lot of people aren't in love with this new season of Serial, but I am actually really enjoying it. It's something different from my normal interests, and I think Sarah, per the norm, is fascinating. I hadn't followed the case at all before this, so it's all new to me (is it just me or are there some similarities with the first season of Homeland?). I am enjoying her updates regarding last season, too.

6. I have a confession: I've ordered four new books lately. I grabbed Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian because I saw a student reading it and have always meant to. I got Lauren Groff's The Monsters of Templeton because I loved her other two novels, and then I've seen such great things about Anthony Marra's The Tsar of Love and Techno, so I grabbed that too. I had preordered Jhumpa Lahiri's In Other Words awhile ago so I didn't forget, and that arrived a few days ago. I should feel bad, but I don't. I can't even promise that I'll stop (I'm burning through Christmas gift cards). 

7. A few years ago Scott and I went to a place called The Pie Hole in LA and I got this delicious maple custard pie and have always wanted to replicate it. I found a recipe for a similar tart, which is just as good. Making it asap.

8. The week before we get our taxes get done I historically get greedy. While 90% of what we get will go into savings or will go towards home improvement-type expenditures, I think I will splurge on this bag and this chaise lounge for reading by the pool. Or, if we're being truly accurate, I'll say I will and then end up feeling bad and putting my fun money towards a student loan. 



9. Fuller House is going to be terrible. I CANNOT WAIT TO WATCH IT.

10. My kid is blowing bubbles in the dog water, so I better go. 


7 comments:

  1. I read "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian" awhile back when everyone was upset and trying to ban it everywhere. I enjoyed it well enough...there are some I GUESS semi-inappropriate parts, but it's like, do people have ANY idea what teenagers are watching/talking about/doing already? So with that in mind it's not really shocking content at all, hahah.

    I really like that Fossil bag! I have a couple Fossil bags, but I bought them all at Ross Dress for Less or Marshalls. Their prices for them is awesome, but there's less to choose from which is a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling better from the race. Enjoy your time off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That photo book is the cutest...I may have to get one for myself!

    This year, weʻre putting the majority of our tax returns away for our trip to my BFFʻs wedding in September. Flights and all that are ridiculously expensive! But Iʻm thinking about splurging on a personalized quiet book for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely having a hard time getting into this season of Serial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for Mommy dates...boo for surprise stomach flu. Blah. At least we are on break.

    I am also loving the new season of Serial. Again, can't guess if he is guilty or not but what he did in the first place was fucked up.

    Did I tell you that the maple custard pie at Pie Hole is my jam too? For the past 2 years, Sergio has gifted me one of those for my birthday. YUUUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Anthony Marra's The Tsar of Love and Techno! I hope you enjoy it :)

    Glad to hear the soreness from the marathon last weekend is almost gone. That's really cool that Matt Damon also ran that race!

    The Fossil bag looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I want that bag now too!!

    My thoughts exactly on Fuller House!

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS