Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

Link up, link back, say hi!

1. Kare Goucher, the runner, continues to break my heart. That woman is a beast and trains so very hard, but it seems like every time she feels ready she misses her goal by seconds. She ran the Olympic Trials for the marathon in Los Angeles last weekend and missed qualifying by so little! And she cried, which made me sad for her. 

2. While on the topic of running, while I've decisively sidelined half marathon plans indefinitely (I was considering doing the Disney in September before Surf City), I think I'm going to really focus on improving my 5k of 10k times (so 3.1 or 6.2 miles). I think my feet can handle that and the training is much  more doable with my life. It'll also allow me to do more cross training, which I'm excited about. I got on the bike yesterday and have been doing more yoga, so I'm pleased with that. 

3. This is my new favorite shirt:





4. I read Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian last weekend and really enjoyed it. I don't read YA, but I am an Alexie fan, so I gave it a try. More than anything, it made me want to read more of his adult fiction.

[Alexie]

5. I'm also reading The Scarlet Letter for my senior IB class and I'm liking it way more than I ever have before (I think this is the fourth time I've read it?). The language is still very tedious, though, and it's really heard to read when I can't completely focus. We will be comparing it to Kate Chopin's The Awakening, which should be interesting (well, for me, anyway). I wish there was a prequel, though. What the heck went down between Hester and Dimmesdale? They were praying together one day and BAM! crazy baby Pearl was made? 

6. I also just started Notorious RBG, since it seemed like the timely thing to do.

7. Four years ago I jumped out of a plane. How stupid. 

8. I've been thinking about looking into taking some sort of creative writing or literature class through the UCLA Extension program, just for fun. Mostly because I'm always like, "hey, I'm so bored, I need more things to do and items to put on my to-do list."

9. My child's new love is to sit in cardboard boxes and color in them. This keeps him busy for chunks of like twenty-five minutes, which is impressive in toddler time. I'm going to have to keep ordering things online to make sure he has the necessary supplies.



10. Holy shit, this churro cake.

7 comments:

  1. Love the kid in a box-my kids and cats are all fond of boxes lol. Right now my 9 year old is going through a phase where she's taking our empty soda boxes (the kind that holds 12 cans), and making art out of them. Kind of weird and cool at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm new here (thanks, BBAW!) but excited to find another bookworm + runner. I'm training for a few halves this year, though I've just sidelined my thoughts of trying for a full.

    How's The Notorious RBG so far? I have it on my list but, like so many other books, haven't gotten to it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I canʻt wait til my kid hits the coloring-in-boxes stage...itʻll give me an actual excuse to order things on line. Blaming things on the kid is fun.

    Iʻve always wanted to do a creative writing class or something like that just to occupy my time in a creative way. Also because never ending To-Do lists definitely make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boxes are the best! When my two oldest were small, we had just moved, and I threw the empty boxes onto the patio....and they were enthralled. They could play for eons out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Churro cake...looks amazing =D

    I have The Scarlet Letter on my TBR list (never read it at school) and it intimidates me for some reason, lol. I hope to get around to it one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I plan to continue running 1/2s, I feel like I'm improving more on my 5k distance. You could always do the 5k or 10k @ Disney in September. I so badly want to do that race - and get my Coast to Coast medal, but it's doubtful I can make it happen. So.Much.Money! :(

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS