Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

How are we doing? Isn’t this whole Covid-19 debacle just completely… exhausting? I am so tired from checking the updates, from living my life as normal, from making sure my house is stocked with the perfect amount of “not-overreacting but being prepared” supplies, and from just talking about (but can we really stop?). I totally understand and relate to what everyone is thinking and feeling. It’s just a glorified cold, you’ll be fine if you get it. Yup. It’s detrimental to the elderly and those without compromise immune systems. Yup. We need to keep schools open. Yup. We need to close schools. Yup. We need to live our lives. Yup. We need to reduce large public gatherings. Yup. It’s just so surreal; I’m grading and fantasizing about summer break, and yet there’s this huge, scary, life-as-we-know-it altering-thing lurking in the background. I have so little confidence in the government, in the response of my fellow man, and even in hand sanitizer. Fast forward six months down the line? I think we’re going to be okay.

This weekend we are laying looooooooow, both because of the virus shutting a lot of places and events, but also because we’re having strange, foreign, “wintery” weather here in SoCal (read 65 degrees and rain). I hope to get some grading done, lots of reading, and working on a new cross stitch project I have planned for my Etsy shop. I think we are also going to my friends’ son’s birthday party for a few hours, so that will be nice. I’ll be the first to admit that, after people dying of course, the next reason I am most bothered by the virus is because I need to be busy and leave my house in order to feel happy. Those opportunities being jeopardized really disturbs me. Luckily I don’t think they will close down hiking trails and beaches for this (I don’t think anyway).

Evidence of me in fact NOT being a coffee snob whatsoever: I am so excited to try Wendy’s Frosty-ccino. It’s coffee  plus Frosty- how can I not love it? It’s like the least classy affogato ever.  

My friends and I at work were discussing books that we read when we were younger that we remember liking but don’t exactly remember and need to reread. On my list? Henrik Ibsen’s A Dolls House, Isabel Allende House of the Spirits, William Golding’s Lord of the Flies, and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I am generally not a fan of rereading, just because there are so many books out there, but I also know the value of rereading, since the books I teach at work are the ones I know best.


I had a meeting all day, so my kids had a sub, and the man is just the nicest guy ever. He’s probably in his sixties and I always feel like I’m leaving my students with their grandpa for the day. He keeps them in mind, but he always so sweet and leaves me the kindest notes.

1 comment:

  1. Yup, I am so exhausted by COVID19 talk, but I can't turn it off because I work at a school and I have to stay up to date about what we're doing.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS