Top Ten... Books of 2021




True to form, I finished my reading goal of 74 books on December 31st and promptly set my 2022 goals for one book higher at 75. Selecting my top ten was a little more difficult than past years, I think. About half were easy choices (Murakami, O'Farrell, Ishiguro, Walton, and Jaouad), but the rest I really deliberated on. It wasn't that I didn't read good books this year, because I did- they were just a solid pack with fewer stand alone shining stars. 

A quick one-sentence overview on each:

The Secret Lives of Church Ladies by Deesha Philyaw- Strong short story collection from start to finish 

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami- Japanese magical realism and existentialism 

The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich- Native American family struggles, plus fighting for rights 

North by Scott Erdrich- Part running, part travelogue, part motivational 

Sharks in the Time of Saviors by Kawai Strong Washburn- Hawaiian family saga with some magical realism thrown in

The Final Revival of Opal and Nev by Dawnie Walton- A better-written, deeper Daisy Jones

Between Two Kingdoms by Suleika Jaoad- Emotional rollercoaster ride along a young woman suffering from cancer

On All Fronts by Clarissa Ward-  Kick ass female journalist who is based in the Middle East

Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell- Goddammit with the plagues 

Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro- Humanizing AI

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS